Quick Fermentaion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumjump

Reaction score
I started a Grand Cru kit Gewurtraminer on Sunday with a SG reading of 1.080. On Tuesday it read 1.044. I just took it again and it is down to 1.004. Does this sound ok? The temperature was a little high 78-82. I used Lalvin 118. The directions say when SG gets 0.998 or lower to stabilize and clear at aprox. 14 days. Should I leave it in the primary until then or should I rack it to carboy. And then let it finish there, and wait for SG to stay the same for 3 days and then stabilize? Boy I don't want to ruin this seeing this is my first kit. I usually use SunCal.

You can do it either way. Some people ferment to dry in the primary while others rack to a secondary to finish. If you leave it in the primary, make sure you snap down the lid and keep it under airlock. In either event, wait for it to stay the same for three days in a row before you stabilize. If you're going to rack to a secondary, now is the time to do it.

Thanks for the quick response. I am going to rack it now into Carboy. I don't know what I'd do without everyone here. I will keep you posted on my progress. :hug

Ok change of plan. My husband talked me into leaving it in the fermentation bucket. It's already on the counter and tightened the lid down and under airlock. Maybe he's wiser that I thought.l:h

There's alway's more than one way to skin a cat. Good Luck!

Debbie. I think you spent too much time in the Chat Room last night.

Back