Quick drinker?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiumanfu

DIY Vintner
Reaction score
I'm still somewhat new to the scene but I've been bitten by the bug hard.

I have 3 batches ageing right now.

Winekitz Ultimate Estate Reserve Chile Vieux Chateau du Roi - 4 months
RJ Spagnols En Primeur Italian Pinot Grigio - 1 month
RJ Spagnols Winery Series California Cabernet Sauvignon - just out of primary

I'd like to let these kits age as they so deserve but I'm also anxious to taste the fruits of my labour. I have one more carboy to fill and was hoping for suggestions on a good, quick to drink red. I'd like to stay with RJS as I get their kits for really cheap (gotta love living 15 minutes away from their outlet here in Vancouver).

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions... and for all the great info on this forum. I don't know where I'd be without you guys!

I would let the reds age at least a year, the whites about 6 months or so. If you want something you can drink right away and is great for the summer, try making a batch of Skeeter Pee! :-D

www.skeeterpee.com

Chiumanfu:

One of the Grand Cru kits without grape skins might fill the bill. I heard some pretty good things about the Grand Cru International BC Pinot Noir back in 2007, and I know those folks were drinking the wine pretty young. If it was me, I'd make the kit as an 8-10 week kit (5-6 weeks if you're going to filter it), bottle it, and then let it sit in bottle for 4 or 5 weeks before drinking. Hide a case for a year, just to see how it is,

Steve

Get a Cellar Classic Bergamias. This kit is intended to drink young. I have customers that love this full bodied wine when they first bottle it. This wine will go though a harsh stage about 4 months after bottling just let it rest through this period that will last about two months and the character of this wine will change and you will enjoy a nice fruity red after that. This kit is based on a Boujalias Neuvous (I hope I speeled that correctly)

Last edited:
Chiumanfu,
I made a Winekitz Ultimate Etsate Reserve - Gamay Bergamais. It was good very young. I am just starting out - so I have nothing aged more then 6 months. I am not a big red drinker but I gave out alot of it for Christmas - everybody wanted more and it had been bottled for 5 weeks ( no bulk aging in carboy - it made it before I started reading this forum). So now I am bulk aging for at least 6 months and not drinking for another 6 months (if possible) - reserves are getting low. I have started some Cheeky Monkey to get me through but I am going to bulk age 3 months and then have at them.:dg

Winekitz here is Nova Scotia ( New Minas store) e-mailed me and said they are having a sale 20% off until May 5th. Maybe there is a sale in your area for Winekitz

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Dino466. The best price I've found for the Winekitz UER kits is $135. It's tough to justify the extra expense when I can get a En Primeur or Winery Series with skins for less than $90.

Really - that is different then the east coast. UER $110.00- works out with store reward card (99.00) - En Primeau is 144.00 and Winery series 124.00 - so the sale price on the UER is $88.00 in my local winekitz store - it must be a transportion cost difference. They have a rewards program - every non sales item kit they bank 10% of it for you and after you purchase 10 kits you can cash in the banked rewards credit. They also ran a sale every month on 1 red and 1 white in the UER and Traditional vintage kits at 15% off ( no banked credit but counts towards one of the 10 kits) and once a year they have a 2 week sale 20% off every kit except limited editions. So really the max I paid for UER kits is $99.00 to $88.00. I don't if that is just the local store or if it is all Winekitz stores.

Get a Cellar Classic Bergamias. This kit is intended to drink young. I have customers that love this full bodied wine when they first bottle it. This wine will go though a harsh stage about 4 months after bottling just let it rest through this period that will last about two months and the character of this wine will change and you will enjoy a nice fruity red after that. This kit is based on a Boujalias Neuvous (I hope I speeled that correctly)

Are you referring to the Grand Cru Bergamais? I don't see any Cellar Classic listed by RJ Spagnols. I have a friend that made one of these (Grand Cru) for an immediate drinker, and was very fond of it.
TS

Are you referring to the Grand Cru Bergamais? I don't see any Cellar Classic listed by RJ Spagnols. I have a friend that made one of these (Grand Cru) for an immediate drinker, and was very fond of it.
TS
No I sell 2 or 3 of the cellar classic Bergamias every month.

Thanks rjb, I did a quick google search and noted several sites selling the Cellar Classic Bergamais. I had no idea there was a higher end (15L) Bergamais kit! I would love to find a complete list of RJS kits, obviously the website isn't it! (I am wondering if they are still making the Australian Bush Granache too).

Back