Queston on stabilizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizardskeep

Reaction score
I have two gallons of dry plum wine ready to be bottled. Far as I can tell .... all fermentation has ceased.

Since this wine will not be sweetened, do I need to stabilize? If you think I do, how would you suggest I go about it. :?

I think you only need to add k-meta. When people say "to stabilize," they generally mean adding k-meta and potassium sorbate. However, you only need to add the latter if backsweetening (or, perhaps, if you may have some residual sugar).

What is your SG? And how long has it been there?

The kits I've done that don't have you back sweeten (f-packs) still include a packet of sorbate. I don't know why. Think the sorbate amounts to about 1/4 tsp. and the k-meta 2-3 tsp. for the 6 gallon/23L kits.

I think you only need to add k-meta. When people say "to stabilize," they generally mean adding k-meta and potassium sorbate. However, you only need to add the latter if backsweetening (or, perhaps, if you may have some residual sugar).

What is your SG? And how long has it been there?

Unknown on the SG and I don't have a hydrometer (but it's on the list now) either.

It's been 30 days since the last racking and there have been no bubbles, or any lees that I can see, so I'm pretty sure all the residual sugar is gone. I think I'm going to go ahead and bottle and hope for the best. I have the potassium sorbate but don't want to use it unless I have too. I've been told that it will mess with the flavor and taste of the wine to various degrees??? Hopefully, if I'm wrong about the fermentation, the worst thing will just be a bit of sparkle.

I will look up the K-meta since I'm not sure what it is.

I appreciate all the little tips and tricks from y'all too.

The kits I've done that don't have you back sweeten (f-packs) still include a packet of sorbate. I don't know why. Think the sorbate amounts to about 1/4 tsp. and the k-meta 2-3 tsp. for the 6 gallon/23L kits.

This is our first batch and I'm so afraid I'm gonna screw it up I'm almost afraid to do anything. LOL We will bottle tomorrow and see what happens.

Sorbate is very cheap insurance and unless you're a sommelier I doubt you can taste the sorbate. I've added 1/8 teaspoon to a glass and I can barely taste it.

It's true that all kits that I have done from Winexpert requests to add the bag of sorbate when stabilizing even when no F pack is added. I bought some sorbate from my LHBS for other wine made from scratch and it says on the label to add 1/4 tsp per gallon hence 1.5 tsp on a regular 6 gal batch. I follow that recommendation when I know I will back sweeten.

I am not worried about the sorbate. But you really should get some potassium metabisulfate (K-meta). Also comes in the form of "Campden tablets."
100% in agreement . Sorbate isn't needed if you're not backsweetening. (it won't stop an active ferment) If you plan on keeping your wine for 4 months or more I definitely would get some potassium metabisulfate
(thanks for the spelling on that 1 Paul,lol)

didn't you mean 1/4 tsp K-meta and 2-3 tsp sorbate for 6 gallons?

We are slowly getting this great mystery sorted out with all the help and advice from this forum. It is most appreciated.

The amount of Kmeta and its effectiveness depends upon the pH. Do you have a way to measure the pH?

Cheers!

Liz,

Hydrometer measures your specific gravity (amount of sugar in solution- 1.000 is water). Treeman was referring to the acidity of your wine with his reference to pH. The hydrometer is vital for your efforts, and is the right first addition to your kit.

If you are making wine from fruit or grapes from scratch, getting your pH right will be important for a number of reasons. Treeman references detailed calculations on how much kmeta to add, but a good starting spot is the amount above, 1/4 teaspoon per 6 gallons.

Gets, Fran

That one went over the top didn't it. :sl I was thinking SG ........

What is a good way to measure PH?

We're still learning the terminology and following recipes at this stage.

Back