Question on Blueberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have figured out blueberries dont really enjoy to be fermented. This is the only fruit i have ever had (so far) go stuck. Have also only made it twice. Was curious if anyone has tried this before. Could you use a stuck blueberry must to make a ferment slow or stop in another fruit wine, or am I just a dumb newbie to this whole thing?? You may laugh at me and call me out if you would like, I dont mind.

Blueberries naturally contain benzoate, which is a preservative & can be the cause for stuck fermentations.. I dont know if the benzoate levels are high enough that blueberries could actually stop an active fermentation, but its enough to keep a fermentation from getting started

Granted, whatever you added them to would also extract flavor, color and all that other goodness too... So it wouldnt be suitable for every situation, like white wines, if it were to even work

Good to know. I like to experiment with things but dont like to waste or fail. I was thinking of adding it to my "Cheapo Orange" batch. Thought it may slow it down in the secondary some if were to add it. I guess the only thing to do is try it, i only have the cost of sugar and $1.25 into some canned oranges. We'll see what happens.

Any fruit from genus 'Vaccinium' has a potential to get stuck.

Last edited:
When you make blueberry wine, you MUST hydrate the yeast first. And it would be good to add some Go-Ferm or Go-Ferm Protect to it because these are micro-nutrients for the yeast.

Do you still have this wine in a "stuck" state? You COULD restart the ferment by using the procedure Scott Labs suggest for dealing with stuck ferments. You can access it onlne by going to the Scott Labs Fermentation Handbook.

I do hydrate all my yeast before pitching. I was able to kickstart the blueberry again by stirring the crap out of it, wrapping it with an electric blanket, and bringing the temp up to about 80 degrees. The only reason I asked the ? in the first place is because, I thought blueberries could possibly be used to stabilize, unless like previously noted maybe I have no clue what I am talking about.

Probely not. If they did stop the ferment, they would probely just start up slowly at a later date. My blueberry wines and many blends using them have been good fermentors.
If a stuck batch of blueberry wine can easily be kicked into action with a pint of starter I really don't think a few blueberries has a chance of stoping an active ferment.

Latest posts

Back