Question for the experts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2tazmania

Reaction score
I have made several batches of wine over the last couple of years. My wife has said on a couple occasions that the wine gave her a headache. I don't know if she was talking about the wine or me.... ;) Are there certain wrong steps that would cause you to get a headache? And before the comedians come out of the wood work, she was not drinking too much..... :d

Although experts say more study is warranted, and there is dissent, a lot of research suggests that the headache culprits might be histamine and tyramine, other chemical substances that are naturally present in wine. Histamine dilates blood vessels and tyramine first constricts then dilates blood vessels — ouch! Dan L. Keiller, president of the newly formed Medical Wine Interest and Education Society in San Diego, says several studies from Europe show that “red wines, in general, contain more histamine than Champagnes or sparkling wines and those usually contain more histamine than [still] white wines.” Indeed, headaches from red wine are so common that the phenomenon has its own name, “RWH syndrome”-that’s “red wine headache.” But, Dr. Keiller hastens to add, “Histamine content does not correlate consistently with color, bouquet or taste characteristics of the wine.”

People who most often have trouble with histamine in wine, Dr. Keiller and others say, are those who lack an enzyme in their intestines that can help them metabolize histamine. Tyramine, meantime, can cause your blood pressure to rise, and that triggers headaches in some people. These same people might get headaches from aged cheeses, smoked or cured meats, and citrus fruits.

Another possible thing that I have heard is that excess tannin can cause headaches. To verify, you could make her up a batch of extra strong tea and let her drink that and see if that gives a headache too. Some people jump on the sulfite bandwagon, but most evidence tends to point to sulfites being one of the most unlikely culprits in wine induced headaches.

Do you test your wine and add additives such as K-meta according to test results?

Of course!! Im a member if this forum!! Right?? lol

If I did not I would be brought to task pretty quick!!! Just sayin!!

Another possible thing that I have heard is that excess tannin can cause headaches. To verify, you could make her up a batch of extra strong tea and let her drink that and see if that gives a headache too. Some people jump on the sulfite bandwagon, but most evidence tends to point to sulfites being one of the most unlikely culprits in wine induced headaches.

I have to agree. Sulfite's are given the full blame most times and often it's something else.Google is a lot to blame I think.If you were to google sulfites and actually read more than 1 or 2 articles you would see 1 in 8 suffer from wine allergies but only 1 is allergic to sulfites. People google things and mark them as fact, Hence the reason I follow this forum(experience beats google everytime)I have friends that swear they get headaches from all these wines that people fill with sulfites, but never from mine because I don't use them.Little do they know...;)
How can you make a well aged wine and not use sulfites.

well I take my readings.. I dont know what all this other crazy crap is!! LMAO

I agree with what James said. Out of curiosity, I researched this subject one time and found what James posted.

Different red style grapes can vary quite a bit in the amount of histamines. Some varieties can have 3,000 PPM of histamine in them--others have somewhat less while others can have much more. White grapes contain less histamine. So if she can drink white wine without problems, I'd stay away from red wines.

Sulfites may be a problem for people with high allergy problems. But I have a friend who is allergic to nearly every common chemical, and she can drink wine with sulfites in it with no problem.

Very interesting feedback. This latest batch is Nobels. I don't remember what the last batch was but it could have possibly been Nobels as well. I will keep a record and see if the next batch of Nobels gives her a headache.

Back