question about wine sitting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Premedwine

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new to wine making. I started this blackberry batch in december 2012. I got all the way to the stage where you attach the air lock. I was in school at the time finishing up with that and just got really busy so ever since then my wine has been sitting in a carboy with the airlock for about 4-5 months. Is it ruined or can I continue and just strain and put in a new carboy and let it sit some more. It smells fine. What would you suggest. thanks

As long as you have had liquid in the airlock you should be fine. Rack off the lees and give it a dose of kmeta. If you are going to back sweeten you will also want to add a dose of sorbate as well.

I was in your same situation recently. I wasnt sure if the wine was still good or not. It taste great and i went ahead and bottled it. This was muscadine wine.

if it tastes good, bottle it.
If it tastes good enough drink some before you bottle!

you are not going to harm decent wine by bottling it!

:se

dont rush to bottle though, if it tastes good, make it better clear it then bottle, if it tastes good enough, drink some while figuring out whats needed to make it great then bottle it once it clears again. i hate it but thats how to get good at this stuff.

It's most likely going to need some more KMETA, assuming you even did the stabilizing dose right after fermentation ended.

Back