Putting together a Sonoma zinfandel buying group

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpcart

Junior
Reaction score
I have identified a promising lead on zinfandel grapes from Dry Creek Valley in Sonoma. Professionally farmed and usually sold to an established winery. The owner has been nice and responsive, but seeing as how I'm only looking for 400lbs, I'm probably more of an annoyance than a real business opportunity! Looking to find a few others who would like to join on an order to make it worthwhile.

In terms of pricing, they usually sell at $3800/ton but I could be a little less than that this year. We'd need to coordinate on picking and pickup timing. I'm located in the East Bay and probably won't need to rent a trailer but that's a maybe depending on the volumes.

Please let me know if you're interested in getting on this train. Thanks.

-JP

Thanks for setting this up! Sounds intriguing. I have a couple of questions. Would we pick ourselves or just get the grapes? Would people be interested in renting a destemmer/crusher so we leave with must instead of grapes (takes up a lot less space in the truck that way). Who decides when the grapes are ready to pick? Do we have a reserved row or is it a free for all? And the most important one; who brings the scoobie snacks?

I'm in Oregon but I'm in the same boat as you trying to track down some Tempranillo. This is a great idea and I'd totally join if I were in the Bay. I think I'll go and start an Oregon thread

Thanks for setting this up! Sounds intriguing. I have a couple of questions. Would we pick ourselves or just get the grapes? Would people be interested in renting a destemmer/crusher so we leave with must instead of grapes (takes up a lot less space in the truck that way). Who decides when the grapes are ready to pick? Do we have a reserved row or is it a free for all? And the most important one; who brings the scoobie snacks?
All good questions! So far I'm just trying to convince growers I'll make it very easy on them, so haven't asked too many question. Reality is that they are looking for long term commercial buyers and my assumption would be the best lots are going elsewhere. Can't blame them for that!

I only want 400lbs, which I'm happy to pick as that isn't a big deal. It may be that the grower will have its own picking team come in, in which case pick date is at the whim of the big commercial buyer dictating the terms. Will have to see. If the groups gets to make a decision I'll likely go up to taste and test acidity/brix a few weeks before so that we could decide on timing. I don't want a big jammy high alcohol zin, so wouldn't want to pick past 26 brix.

Shorter term goal is to see if I can get a group that will be worth the grower's time. They've never sold less than a ton, but half a ton might do it if I don't negotiate price.

You may already be aware of this, but Sonoma county winegrowers association has an online marketplace for Sonoma grapes:

https://sonomawinegrape.org/marketplace/grapes/

Most listings include a note of whether they're willing to sell to home winegrowers, which I think implicitly means smaller lots. I bought my (1/4 ton) 2023 Syrah from a listing in the similar Mendocino county page:

https://mendowine.com/awpcp/browse-ads/71/grapes/
Thanks! That's actually where I found the grower I'm talking to. Have reached out to others but the vibe I'm getting (from all the non-responses) is that most want a big take. Will definitely check out the Mendocino listings as well.

Did you filter out those that said "no" to "Willing to sell to home winemakers?"

I wish so much that the Oregon wine classifieds board would have this info. Would make it so much easier trying to track down grapes. I should probably email them and suggest it for future years.

Latest posts

Back