Cellar Craft Purchase Grape Packs Separately

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robie

Reaction score
I thought I had done a pretty good job of looking over all of the products George has to offer. I don't know if it is a new entry or if I just missed it, but on George's on-line catalog, at the bottom of the first column there is a heading - "Grape Packs".

It looks as though we now can buy Cellar Craft grape packs separately. If these are what I think they are, this solves several problems for me, because I thought they were not available, I have been planning on making my own grape packs.

Does anyone have anymore info on what these packs are?

I'd also be interested in knowing the answer to that question. Perhaps you could give Obiwan a call and let us know what he says.

I just saw that this AM as well. I was putting a little supply order together and was poking around the site and stumbled on the grape pack link and went WOA!

Not too bad a price either!

Wow, That is a good deal. I might be thinking about getting a few of these and then buy a lesser kit. This might work really good.

Very cool, that could really boost a lower quality kit or even improve a high end kit.

If you did buy the grape packs, would you also need to buy the enzyme CC uses in the showcase kits?

Really cool! addition - nice job CC.
I don't think you'll need the enzyme pack, in fact I am still trying to decide if I am going to use the one in the kit I have going now.

Not all of the kits are coming with enzyme packs, just some that they have a history of the white ring. If it doesn't break down with time, as long as you practice good racking techniques and or filter it should catch it.

CassieV said:
If you did buy the grape packs, would you also need to buy the enzyme CC uses in the showcase kits?

vcasey said:
Really cool! addition - nice job CC.
I don't think you'll need the enzyme pack, in fact I am still trying to decide if I am going to use the one in the kit I have going now.

I hope the problem is not the grape pack. I used the enzyme pack on my CC Cab/Sav/Shiraz several months ago and still have the white gunk issue, and so does another person with whom I am PM'ing. He has had the problem for over a year now; since before CC started providing the enzyme packet.

I can promise you that normal level (vinbrite) filtering will not solve this problem. I don't know if sterile filtering will work or not. That person with whom I am corresponding has filtered more than once, but still has the issue. After racking and filtering it appears the wine is finally OK, but after a few weeks, the white stuff is back. This same person was recently sent an enzyme pack, which he has applied; so far it appears his problem now maybe solved, but he won't know for sure for a couple of weeks.

I have a second enzyme pack on the way and hopefully it will take care of the problem for me. I don't know why the first packet didn't do the job, because it seems to have for everyone else. I may not have stirred it in well enough.

I heard via Canad that the blended enzymes in the CC packet is thought to be -
Vinoflow FCE by Novozymes
USA
However, I can't confirm this.

I think George will take care of us, if we do run into this problem.
I just think that being able to buy grape packs individually is the best thing that has happened since I started making wine. It is sure to change things up in the future.
</font>

Richard I've made many CC kits and have never had that problem, a little oily residue once but careful racking took care of that problem. If I notice there is a problem I'll use the enzyme pack.
Of course now that I've bragged .............
I think its outstanding that CC has done this and hopefully Mosti will start selling the raisin packs soon.

vcasey said:
Richard I've made many CC kits and have never had that problem, a little oily residue once but careful racking took care of that problem. If I notice there is a problem I'll use the enzyme pack.
Of course now that I've bragged .............
I think its outstanding that CC has done this and hopefully Mosti will start selling the raisin packs soon.

I agree, it seems to be a hit-or-miss scenario. Maybe it is something very slight that some of us are doing. Heat? Time on skins? If so, hopefully someone will figure it out and let us know.

Has this turned my against CC? All I can say is that I can hardly wait until June when I get my CC Argentinian Malbec!!!
smiley32.gif

( Ugh! I just looked outside - it is not supposed to be snowing in May! What's the problem here? The hummingbirds are flying around fighting as it snows... just not right.)

So, has anyone used one of these add-on grape packs? What instructions do they come with?

Tepe hasnt used his yet but has just bought some and they do come with a enzyme pack just like the Cellar Craft kits do to help break them down better. They are added to the wine in the very beginning of primary and extracted at around day 7-10 depending on how much tannins and body you are looking to extract. In example if just boosting something like a Pinot Noir you wouldnt want to leave them in there long, if making a Cab youd want them in there much longer.

Yep got 2 cab skin paks from George.
Here'e my plan. Once the CA and Italian juices come in I will use one each. Then I will talk to my wine club as to who is also making that kind of wine. I will use the same yeast an the other members I will do MLF if we both decide. after aging a year bottle once bottle shock is over compare with and without skins. Like Wade said I am betting it will IMPROVE over the one that had no skins.

Latest posts

Back