Problems adding Oak chips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like this is a kit wine right? Nothing wrong with following the directions for the kit or even better all the tips above. If you go the pump route which I recommend getting a pump you can also consider getting a filter to help filter some of the finings out of your wines when you bottle kits and you can also use your pump to bottle with instead of having to raise a bucket off of the ground. WVMJ

a good rule to follow on racking, especially when making fruit or grape wines but it also works for just juice, is the law of threes. Rack three days after racking into secondary, this remove the gross less, which contain dead yeast and particles of grape or fruit, these can impart bad odors and taste to the wine. rack again in three weeks, fine sediment should occur by this time. finally rack again at three months. add appropriate amount of K-meta on the second and third rack. add oak after three month rack. due taste test so not to over oak, rack again and bottle.

I just saw this post and this makes sense to me. Easy to remember! So I racked yesterday to secondary but already added oak and I don't see a problem with that. I can always add more. Counting all of yesterday, I could rack back to the bucket Thursday or Friday and let sit for 3 weeks. Rack back to carboy and let sit for 3 months??
Three weeks in a plastic bucket won't hurt flavors????

Latest posts

Back