problem with Cabernet wine acidity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warover

Junior
Reaction score
today while i was testing with hydrometer my wines i saw that one got about 0.950 and i tasted it and wine had a very acidic taste
i measured ph and i got 3.43 but TA gets 10.35 which scares me as i do not know if my wine is going to do MLF and i can not find where i live a bacteria culture so what should i do now ,in order not to waste 200liters of wine ?
i own caco3 bit i do not know if i should add it

I would only use Calcium Carbonate as a VERY last resort. It generally leaves an off taste behind. How old is the wine? If new can you find a way to cold stabilize it? I know Greece is warm so you may need to find a freezer and put it in there for 2-3 weeks and see if you can get some of that acid to drop out.

The other option is to blend it with some higher pH lower TA wine.

I would wait for about three to four weeks to worry about adjusting acid. the wine is still full of co2 if you just completed fermentation. it will goof up your measurement. the sample has to be degassed before any number is meaningful. wait until it settles out. I wait almost 4 months before even considering any adjustments.

i boiled it before measuring in order to remove co2 and i get 10.35 while i am not boiling my sample i get about 8.1 is that normal ?
the thing is that i added tartaric acid prior fermentation as before TA was about 5.7 and i added about 80grams tartaric in 180 liters as i had ph about 3.55 and i wanted to reduce the ph in the era of 3.4 just for better color extraction

I would only use Calcium Carbonate as a VERY last resort. It generally leaves an off taste behind. How old is the wine? If new can you find a way to cold stabilize it? I know Greece is warm so you may need to find a freezer and put it in there for 2-3 weeks and see if you can get some of that acid to drop out.

The other option is to blend it with some higher pH lower TA wine.

i ferment in an air conditioning room at stable 22 degrees celcius so i never got high temperature while fermenting i can not unfortunately find a freezer and i dont think that this will be a good option wright now as the wine just today dropped in 0.950 and still at a very low range produce bubles one each and there so i may hope for MLF but i do not know if there is any way of helping it to start
best
Nikos

something is still wrong. an acid value of 10g/l should give you a ph of about 3.0 if you are titrating is your solution current? has your ph meter been calibrated?
I still believe you should wait a considerable time before considering any changes.
to answer your question acid after boiling should be lower than before as the co2 and any carbolic acid would be removed.
Personally I would have left the original grapes without additions. if you needed additional color enzymes would have done the trick.
be patient.

something is still wrong. an acid value of 10g/l should give you a ph of about 3.0 if you are titrating is your solution current? has your ph meter been calibrated?
I still believe you should wait a considerable time before considering any changes.
to answer your question acid after boiling should be lower than before as the co2 and any carbolic acid would be removed.
Personally I would have left the original grapes without additions. if you needed additional color enzymes would have done the trick.
be patient.
Hello
Yes titration standard i am using is analytic grade opened in august so is fresh ph meter is calibrated with accuracy of 0.01 again laboratory grade
yes that caught my attention too that with CO2 present i should measure higher TA not lower that is why i performet the measurement with co2 present . i may have to rethink the way i boiled my sample as i did it in a thermo mantle using a 2 neck bottle i had in hand so i may reduced the only water content (i didn't got violent bubbling instantly and also with the geometry of boiling flask i may got co2 back ) in the sample that is why i got higher TA ?
PS
unfortunately in my country i can not get oenological supplies in quantities lower than if i was going to make tons of wine if i want to buy a yeast i have to buy 500grams

Last edited:
is your titration agent more than 6 months old? may be time to replace it?

Also I don't know about boiling it, I've read (with my SC400 instructions, you use a blender before testing the TA)..

NAOH is fresh and from sigma aldrich so there is no chance to be from the reagent the thing may be the preparation of the sample i think best way should be a vacuum pump but unfortunately i don't own one but if any has experience in preparation of the sample i would be gratefull if he could help ...

Latest posts

Back