Primary to Secondary - When???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I cannot see the 0.99. - it is beneath the wine - which makes it 8.886 and that is crazy, right?

Assuming that the 0.990 line is just below the liquid line, it would be 0.986. Which begs the question: What numbered line is below, and what numbered line is above the liquid line?

Now, about the K-Meta, this is something I have never used. I usually add a touch more of Potassium metabisulphite and just let it age after a real hardy degassing...I will read up on the K-Meta.

They are the same thing. K is the element symbol for potassium on the periodic table. Meta is short for metabisulphite.

They are the same thing. K is the element symbol for potassium on the periodic table. Meta is short for metabisulphite.

Oh! That was easy! I have an extra bottle of that I keep around...I just didn't use my head....Thanks for clarifying!

Assuming that the 0.990 line is just below the liquid line, it would be 0.986. Which begs the question: What numbered line is below, and what numbered line is above the liquid line?

OK - I took a picture of the very top of my hydrometer. You can see 0.990 and you can see the thick black line at the top?

In between the thick black line and the top of the blue line, there are 4 small lines. My wine was on the 2nd line below the black line. Each line represents 2. Impossible after 5 days? Sure confuses me. 0.984???

DSC_2781.JPG

Last edited:

I had an obvious typo in the first post where I typed 8.886....I meant 0.986, but after posting the picture to you I now see it is actually 0.984

OK - I took a picture of the very top of my hydrometer. You can see 0.990 and you can see the thick black line at the top?

In between the thick black line and the top of the blue line, there are 4 small lines. My wine was on the 2nd line below the black line. Each line represents 2. Impossible after 5 days? Sure confuses me. 0.986

Your correct in saying that reading would be .986. That looks like the first hydrometer that I used which came with my starter kit. My very first kit readings were off along the whole process by .006(ie 1.040 was actually 1.046). I got to reading and came across checking the calibration of my hydrometer and went through the process and indeed it was off. I went to my lhbs and bought another hydrometer(not one that comes in a kit) and compared the two and they were different and the new hydrometer was spot on. Something to check out anyways. Plus it's always a good thing to have a few extra hydrometers laying around for WHEN you break one.
I think most hydrometers are calibrated for 1.000 @60f using straight water. Wouldn't hurt to check yours out.

That would be 0.984.

With a starting SG of 1.090, the implied ABV is 13.9% A mix of pure water and alcohol at 14% ABV would have an SG of 0.972. So, in theory it is possible.

Your correct in saying that reading would be .986. That looks like the first hydrometer that I used which came with my starter kit. My very first kit readings were off along the whole process by .006(ie 1.040 was actually 1.046). I got to reading and came across checking the calibration of my hydrometer and went through the process and indeed it was off. I went to my lhbs and bought another hydrometer(not one that comes in a kit) and compared the two and they were different and the new hydrometer was spot on. Something to check out anyways. Plus it's always a good thing to have a few extra hydrometers laying around for WHEN you break one.
I think most hydrometers are calibrated for 1.000 @60f using straight water. Wouldn't hurt to check yours out.

I will do that right now. I have a thermometer and will report my findings to you.... LOL...

Well - that's what I got....1.000 on the nose @60f - so I guess my Pino Noir is going to be a nice, strong wine...I have bought wines at 13.5%, but only one bottle I purchased years ago was 14%, and that was a Zinfandel....I guess it could have been worse?

That would be 0.984.

With a starting SG of 1.090, the implied ABV is 13.9% A mix of pure water and alcohol at 14% ABV would have an SG of 0.972. So, in theory it is possible.

I just reread and seen that he said below the black line and not the blue line(.990 line). So like I said .984 lol

I just reread and seen that he said below the black line and not the blue line(.990 line). So like I said .984 lol

Yes JimmyT....That's pretty low and it started at 1.090 as I previously stated. I guess if there is no further fermentation in the secondary, it is a good 14% wine, and that I don't mind. I think there is a temperature correction you use as well if I read it right. The hydrometer is calibrated at 60F, and the wine is 74 degrees. That's a correction of -2??? So it is 0.986?
I'll be back here with the final results when I degas and get ready to age.

I use the same stir stick but have taken one like this and cut the wand part off and reverse the stick and use the hang up end to stir in the carboy, by putting a slight bend in the rod near the end you can get more action and reversing the rotation of the drill while stirring will help as well. Heating the rod in boiling water so as not to crack when bending will help soften it, don't go for a big bend, it doesn't need much just a few degrees from straight.

I use the same stir stick but have taken one like this and cut the wand part off and reverse the stick and use the hang up end to stir in the carboy, by putting a slight bend in the rod near the end you can get more action and reversing the rotation of the drill while stirring will help as well. Heating the rod in boiling water so as not to crack when bending will help soften it, don't go for a big bend, it doesn't need much just a few degrees from straight.

Thanks for that! I found a way to change the way the stirring wand works. I can now get it into the carboy and get it out - there are 2 studs that make it so the stirrers can only go in one direction. I unscrewed them and reversed the way they go if I am explaining myself right? Anyway - waiting patiently to degas and age this Pinot Noir. It is going to be a good one!!!

Latest posts

Back