RJ Spagnols Primary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msfgroup

Reaction score
I am in a quandary I just put into primary yesterday two kits one Pinot Grigio and One Chardonnay. My problem is I HAVE to go out of town Thursday for about 10 days and no one will be there to rack it to secondary. Do I just Pitch both of them or will they hold until I get back? GEEZ this storm has really messed this guys schedule up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSFGROUP

So, the options are to rack on Day 3, or day 13. Day 3 is really too early. Day 13 won't hurt much, if any.

Note: There is Extended Kit Making Instructions that have you doing the first racking on day 28.

Should be fine. Although, I'd install an airlock before departing rather than going with the draped towel or loose lid approach. If fermentation is too vigorous for a simple airlock, a hose into a bucket of sanitizer works well.

Question

Thanks for the early responses I am scheduled to be home on Feb 8th so it will be 14 days in the primary so I am hoping one more day wont hurt if 13 was OK I am already using an airlock on my fermenter I am seeing activity already but nothing major (about 24 hours) I hope its not sitting in the junk too long I can monitor it and I can do the hose and sanitizer if I need to but these are pretty good air locks. Final thoughts??

Since they're kits, and they're whites, I wouldn't give the junk a second thought. Heck, lots of people ferment all of the way to dry in primary on a regular basis. It'll be just fine when you get back, just snap the lids down and airlock before you leave.

If by "sitting in the junk" you mean being in the primary with the gross lees, I wouldn't worry. It is less of an issue with a kit than it is with wine made from fresh grapes. The kit manufacturing process removes a lot of the gunk found in fresh grapes that rots quickly. I wouldn't leave it on the gross lees any longer than necessary but if you have to go a week or two over I wouldn't worry.

Since these are both white wines you might consider lowering the room temp to something like 65 if possible to slow down the fermentation. Many people do this with whites to avoid blowing off the more volatile aromas. It will also lessen the likelihood of wine blowing out of the airlock.

Back