Primary fermentation dilemma.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnyside

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all. I am presently in the process of making some red wine from grapes, a few batches of Zin and also some Cabernet. Anyways I was wondering if anybody has had any experience in pressing red grapes before it gets under 1.000?? Do you always leave the must in the fermentation vessel until the reading is under 1,000 and does it make a difference if you don't?? The wine will continue to ferment after pressing right?

I ask because I have done multiple batches over the years and I admit that I have sometimes started pressing when the reading was just a little over 1,000. The end result is not that different, the main difference is the color. Usually when I leave the must an extra day or two and wait for the reading to get under 1,000 the color of the wine ends up being a lot darker, stains more almost ink like. When I press a little earlier the wine color ends up being is a little lighter. Surprisingly the alcohol content does not vary all that much in the end result between both methods.

Am I crazy or have some had similar experiences??

Hi all. I am presently in the process of making some red wine from grapes, a few batches of Zin and also some Cabernet. Anyways I was wondering if anybody has had any experience in pressing red grapes before it gets under 1.000?? Do you always leave the must in the fermentation vessel until the reading is under 1,000 and does it make a difference if you don't?? The wine will continue to ferment after pressing right?

I ask because I have done multiple batches over the years and I admit that I have sometimes started pressing when the reading was just a little over 1,000. The end result is not that different, the main difference is the color. Usually when I leave the must an extra day or two and wait for the reading to get under 1,000 the color of the wine ends up being a lot darker, stains more almost ink like. When I press a little earlier the wine color ends up being is a little lighter. Surprisingly the alcohol content does not vary all that much in the end result between both methods.

Am I crazy or have some had similar experiences??
Pressing early is common, it’s referred to as “pressing sweet” and is an intentional style decision used to limit tannin extraction, maintain more fruit flavor/aroma, and produces a wine that’s meant to drink earlier. There should be minimal color variation noticed immediately. Anthocyanin extraction peaks early in fermentation then tapers off. It can however have an impact on long term color stability due to the fact that you’re technically getting less phenolic extraction which reduces the flavanols present for Anthocyanins to complex with and form polymeric pigments

I didn't know there was a term for it but; we "press sweet" every year. Color isn't the big difference, it's more the mouth feel I guess, makes sense, less time on the skins will affect the taste with less tannin and grit (for lack of better terms). I prefer the grit so I might change my mind set next year.

I agree, I don't always K-Meta or top off to eliminate air space in carboys when I should and never had an issue. Knock wood!

Pressing early is common, it’s referred to as “pressing sweet” and is an intentional style decision used to limit tannin extraction, maintain more fruit flavor/aroma, and produces a wine that’s meant to drink earlier. There should be minimal color variation noticed immediately. Anthocyanin extraction peaks early in fermentation then tapers off. It can however have an impact on long term color stability due to the fact that you’re technically getting less phenolic extraction which reduces the flavanols present for Anthocyanins to complex with and form polymeric pigments
Good to know. Didn't know there was a term for it and was done purposely.

Back