Primaries with missing lids

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronberntson

Reaction score
I've picked up a number of used primaries, but most are missing their lids. I'm brand new, but likely I'll make both kit and country wines. I notice that the kits I'm using say "cover"? Can I use a plastic wrap? Towel? Does anyone have a clever idea how I could get replacement lids?

thanks

In the early stages of fermentation, you do not need a lid. Just a cloth or towel will do. There is so much gas coming off the wine and there is little to no danger of oxidation. Not so in secondary fermentation when you rack to a carboy. You will need to stopper the carboy with an air lock once the SG gets to around 1.020.

Ron:

Way back in 1999, I got started in this hobby. I was living in Regina at the time. Some stores were selling primaries that did not have a lid (not included, not an option). So perhaps those used primaries never had a lid.

A cloth or towel or cheesecloth will do fine. Anything to keep bugs and dirt out. If you have kids or cats, a solid lid is better.

Steve

I have never used the lids. You can put a pizza pan over it, if you want, I suppose. I buy cheap fabric that is "see through" and make various sized bags for squeezing, which we hardly ever do anymore anyway! and they do double duty as covers for the primaries. I took elastic and made them the size I want for the various primaries. It's like a giant rubber band. easy on and easy off!

Debbie

I agree, I never use lids, I just throw a towel over it. that makes it easier to remove when you are stirring too! I hate prying those lids off anyways. :)

Last edited:
Ditto -I just use a towel. The main idea is to keep bugs, dirt, etc from getting into the primary. The primary fermentation needs O2 for a healthy fermentation - which is why the lid is not that important.

Many of the plastic paint buckets, which are sold at Home Depot and Lowes are food grade. If you can find one that fits, use it.

However, like many have written, you don't have to use the lids. White wines need a little more protection than reds, but if, like was mentioned, you use a pizza pan as a lid, the CO2 in the primary will push out any oxygen, that might harm a white. IMO, I would not use just a towel or cheese cloth as a lid for a white wine, but they are good with a red.

Latest posts

Back