Pressure treated wood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasK

Reaction score
I'm working on a brick patio for my back yard and the elevation change from my back porch to the end of the patio is great enough that my gravel/sand base is going to spill out if I don't contain it somehow. Plus I need something to keep my bricks from drifting.

So, I've been contemplating using pressure treated lumber to line the patio and then stain it the same color as my pergola to tie it all together.

The problem is, I can't find any lumber at Lowes Depot that is 2x that is rated for ground contact. Only their 4x4s are rated.

So, does anyone have any idea what the lifespan of non-ground-contact-rated pressure treated lumber is when it is in contact with the ground?

Not sure of the time span when in contact with the ground but I would highly recommend going with synthetic for that like Tex or similar. Doesnt sound like you need any structural support so 5/4" material should do fine. Yes its much pricier but it will last a freaking long time!

I stray away from pressure treated lumber because of the arsnic it contains. Wade is right, look into Trex, I used that for 2 of my porches. Looks and lasts great.

Should you choose pressure treated wood you need to allow it to weather a bit, then paint it with an oil based paint to seal in the chemicals. It will last longer that way.

Drainage is important as well. Any wood kept moist will deteriorate quicker.

Wade you're right about no arsenic. The new synthetic lumber Wade is talking about is great. The only issue I know of is that the oil from leaves in the fall will stain it. Just something to keep in mind. All my patio furniture is made from it.

DasK, I am not sure what your budget is on this project but I would highly recommend going with the 4 by material. You can get 30 year material large enough to drill 3/4" holes and anchor to the ground with galvanized pipe. It will be a more substantial and heavier barrier and, being 3.5" on the side will hold both the underlayment and the bricks. The 2 by material will look flimsy and will bow in time.

Not sure of the time span when in contact with the ground but I would highly recommend going with synthetic for that like Tex or similar. Doesnt sound like you need any structural support so 5/4" material should do fine. Yes its much pricier but it will last a freaking long time!
I've considered it. There is the price issue, but also that it won't match the pergola. Not completely out of the question though.

DasK, I am not sure what your budget is on this project but I would highly recommend going with the 4 by material. You can get 30 year material large enough to drill 3/4" holes and anchor to the ground with galvanized pipe. It will be a more substantial and heavier barrier and, being 3.5" on the side will hold both the underlayment and the bricks. The 2 by material will look flimsy and will bow in time.
The 4x4 material would be great, but it's not tall enough. Unless I put two pieces together ... hmmm...

Thanks everyone that's given me some more to think about

I wasn't sure so I googled it. There is still arsnic used in cca wood these days and is extremely hazardous. Even if the industry has scaled back the amount used it's still not being used in my garden or on anything I or my family/friends would touch.

That's the problem. They took all the chemicals that actually protected the wood out and now it's not rated for ground contact. I have no problem knowing there is arsenic in the wood. I don't plan on eating it and I don't have it in an enclosed area so I'm sure fumes, if any, are dissipated into the air at a non lethal level.

Then again, I have never been a tree hugger so to speak. Had to lean against a few in my day though. You know to keep them from falling over. :dg

Whether your wood has arsnic in it or not depends on where you get it. In the US anyway, a normal week-end gardener going to Lowes or Home Depot will not get wood that is treated with arsnic. It does have other chemicals that you need to treat respectfully-but no arsnic. However, industries can still get wood treated with the older arsnic method for industrial purposes-and some of that may find its way into the market. All pressure treated wood should have a tag stapled to the end of the board that tells you what process was used.

you mentioned stain

Standard Pressure Treat wood is sorta wet
If you find very dry stock and can add to the weather proofing by staining it prior to installation it will last many many years.
Weather proofing stain will repel the elements and ground treatment for insects, will be prohibitive to the propagation of ants or other insects, detrimental to the wood itself and to the general population of insects in the common area at large. Rolled roofing material like 15# felt will contribute to this as well.
Just level and lay it down prior to your lay out.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back