WineXpert Presenting The 2008

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASAI

Reaction score
Saint Gerty Holy Communion Shiraz.
Thanks for the forum input, to understand if it I am the Head Of My Church, I can name the Saints any way I want. To Tepe for printing the labels at Kinkos, these photos don't do justice to the intricate detail; and Ramona for the idea of spraying with Crystal Glaze.

20090426_225121_ShirazGroup.jpg

20090426_225532_ShirazIndiv.JPG

i like the wax touch!

what is this you say about Crystal Glaze?

ASAI,

Looks great!

I bet it tastes even better!

v1rotate said:
I think Ramona was referring to Krylon Clear Glaze aka "Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze."

http://www.krylon.com/products/triplethick_crystal_clear_glaze/

Thanks for answering so precisely. I meant too post a answer earlier, but, got side tracked this morning rackin' wine.

I apologize for the lack of context in my Original Post.
Several had mentioned in pervous post, (Ramona in detail), when making custom labels on plain paper to spray with a coating to prevent smudges and water proof. I had planned to get clear poly spray from Wal Mart as Ramona suggested, but when time came for inspiration with off the shelf selection process; I chose the Krylon 0500 Triple-Thick Crystal Clear Glaze.

I don't know if this was the best choice or not. The labels were on high end paper from Kinkos and already had a glossy finish. When, I got through with 2 coats, (Verticle & Horizontal), they had a little of a frosted finished, almost like over spray. It smoothed out with normal handling during label apply process.
Using the spray may be one of the reasons I had so much trouble following directions from Tepe on how to use a glue stick. I get NO STICKY until I did the NUKE the first time, this time I used SOLAR energy to warm up and reduce the vicsoity.

tepe said:
ASAI,

Looks great!

I bet it tastes even better!

Taste? How would I know? I follow instructions fromYOU that I need patience, patience, patience, to make good wine. This was my sceond kit started 1/18/09. It has been in bulk age since, and now is in my Mothers abandoned basement freezer, for bottle aging until probably Thanksgiving.

Al Fulchino said:
i like the wax touch!

what is this you say about Crystal Glaze?

Thanks Al, I am thinking I like the wax seal for Wines to keep for a while, and/orones more thandrinking wines.
I did not learn until after I was committed to doing this batch the main purpose of the wax is for tamper proof evidence. Tradition is for the top to be embossed with the estate seal/family crest. So I will get a mongram/unique crestbefore I do it again.
I am trying to learn from experimentation . Using the wax seems to be a gaint pain, with messy clean-up but once started quicker and better than the heat shrink. For a wax system I use a home made double boiler using my ONLY cooking pot and for the inner wax pot a salvaged Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee can.
Temperature control appears critical and tricky. Some got a seal very smooth and precise, and some came out way too lumpy.
Any expert advice would be appreciated. BUYING another $200 toy is probably not a good option, for me.

Taste? How would I know? I follow instructions fromYOU that I need patience, patience, patience, to make good wine. This was my sceond kit started 1/18/09. It has been in bulk age since, and now is in my Mothers abandoned basement freezer, for bottle aging until probably Thanksgiving.[/QUOTE]
Yep the 3 "P's" BUT when you rack is when you can taste and see how its coming.
Did you forget the 3 "T's"?

tepe said:
Yep the 3 "P's" BUT when you rack is when you can taste and see how its coming.
Did you forget the 3 "T's"?

Well I did get a "little taste" from the scum left over in the racking tube. I think I posted back in Jan when I racked from pri to sec, it had potential. At that time tasted just like the $5 bottle of Shiraz from WalMart I got sick on the night before.
More Serious, I did open a 375 bottle for dinner with my daugher and friend on Friday night. It is coming along nicely, expect it to be good drink anytime in 3 more months or so. This was a VR kit, so I am targeting drinking between 11/09 - 5/10.

Back