Premier Reserve Gold Label old can

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGrav

Reaction score
A while back I picked up some beer making hardware, and with it came a can of malt extract "American Rice" from Premier Reserve Gold Label, probably former Blue Ribbon. The instructions are long gone, but I imagine it called for a corn sugar addition. The O.G. is listed at 1.036 to 1.040 with an IBU of 15-20. My question is this; is that O.G. with whatever additions it planned on, or by the can alone? Does anyone have any experience with this extract? The can is 4lbs if that makes any difference. I don't want to make a thin-watery beer with it, so I'm thinking of adding dried malt extract and some more hops. Just not sure how much yet.

I think George carries this product so why not give him a call and he'd probably email it to you. Im pretty sure you nee one of the following to make this.
3 lbs of corn sugar (dextrose) or
3 lbs of any Dry Malt Extract or
3.3 lbs of Unhopped canned extract. Eiher of the three is what it says for making a Muntons Gold extract and it says it comes with the yeast although yours is probably old so youll want to replace that. Youll probably want a yeast designed for lagers even though you probably wont be lagering it. It will ferment it with a much cleaner crisper flavor which Im pretty sure is what you would want from something like this.
http://www.finevinewines.com/p-2433-2354.aspx

Thanks, Are the gravities on the side of the can inclusive of additives? I think so. Reading through a host of other recipes, it would have to be some pretty thick stuff to make that gravity on its own. I'm sure it will call for at least 1.5 lbs of additional malt. I think I'm going to try to make an American Pilsener or something thereabouts. Something not too strong, easy summer drinker. I made some wonderful weizenbock that I'm still savoring, but that's not a light brew. I've got 3.3 lbs of liquid amber malt extract if that would be a good add, or extra light dried if that's too dark. I also have some cascade and hallertau, no saaz left. I like some hop taste and nose, with some body, and ifturns out as light as a bud light or watery, I'll be giving it away. I do have some munich lager yeast that should work. Any ideas?

Id probably go with the extra light DME and Cascade and East Kent Goldings myself.

Latest posts

Back