Pounds of sugar IN 55 brix concentrate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNwino

Reaction score
Ok I have a gallon of 55 brix black raspberry concentrate and I need to know how many pounds of sugar it equals. I know that .125lbs of sugar added TO a gallon will raise it 1 brix but its different for IN A GALLON. Ive been able to find tons of info about adding TO but not IN. Math makes my brain hurt and I cant find any tables to tell me this.

Ultimatly what im trying to figure out is how much of this concentrate in need to reconsitute to make 5 gallons of wine, having to use as little extra sugar as possible to get about 13% alcohol

Last edited:
I really don't know the answer to your question, but if I was trying to do what your are doing, I would mix a quart of the concentrate with 3 quarts of water. Mix it well, check the brix. If it is lower than about 22 or so, you will have to add more concentrate, if higher, add more water. This is assuming it will ferment down to about 0.994 or so. Somebody will probably correct me if I am wrong. My math isn't always the greatest anymore. Arne.

I really don't know the answer to your question, but if I was trying to do what your are doing, I would mix a quart of the concentrate with 3 quarts of water. Mix it well, check the brix. If it is lower than about 22 or so, you will have to add more concentrate, if higher, add more water. This is assuming it will ferment down to about 0.994 or so. Somebody will probably correct me if I am wrong. My math isn't always the greatest anymore. Arne.

LOL just thinking about it if I used 2.5 gallons of 55 brix concentrate to 2.5 gallons of water wouldnt that half the brix to 27.5? Thats pretty close so maybe only use like 2 gallons? I guess the answer was their in front of me the entire time. Boy im dumb

Last edited:
55 brix is 550 grams per Litre
A us gallon is 3.8 Litres
A pound is 454 grams

550 x3.8 /454 = 4.6 pounds

Your a genious! Nice explanation. Ok now let me give you another example. My juice is at 18 brix and I have 15 gallons and I want to raise the brix to 21. I know there are calculators available but everyone gives you a different answer. Can you give me an acurate formula? What I have been using is;
6*(3*.1)= 1.8 pounds of sugar OR gallons x (target brix-current brix) x .01)) = required pounds of sugar
I am not saying this is exactly right or wrong. I am putting it out there, asking if it is right or what is.

I went through a similar excercise a couple of years ago. I use an imported Italian cabernet sauv. concentrate of 68 brix. None of the formulas to adding "x" amount of water gave me the same answer. I have a friend back in Pa. that owns a winery asked what formula to use and he gave me yet another answer. I ended up simply adding water and checking constantly the s.g. to the desired s.g. What I ended up with was 2 gallons of 68 brix concentrate to 5 gallons water which consistently gave me an ending s.g. of 1.096 for the past 2 years and an ABV of 13.5%. Seven gallons is a little much for a 7.9 gallon primary so I take out about a half gallon of a very fine grape juice and ferment the balance.

LOL just thinking about it if I used 2.5 gallons of 55 brix concentrate to 2.5 gallons of water wouldnt that half the brix to 27.5? Thats pretty close so maybe only use like 2 gallons? I guess the answer was their in front of me the entire time. Boy im dumb

Yes, that should be the case.

Well in the end I was guesstimating. Ultimately I found that the BR concetrate is 70 brix! Good stuff. I think its going to make a wicked good wine

55 brix is 550 grams of sugar per litre .
there are 3.8 litres in a us gallon .

454 grams in a pound .

550 x 3.8 / 454 = 4.6 pounds

so wine kit concentrate would be a good replacement for sugar?

Last edited:
Back