Potassium Sorbate and K Meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kramnuko

Reaction score
Is potassium SorbateIs an absolute? When should it be added and to both red and white?

When bulk aging how often do you add k meta? My Barolo has been sitting since April 1, 2012. Rack again, just add kmeta, bottle?

The help here has made my new hobby my new passion!

Thank you

Sorbate is only needed when you plan on sweetening your wine. Sorbate keeps yeast from making more yeast. When you add sorbate to a wine, add k-meta as well because it helps to sorbate work more effectively.

The rule of thumb for k-meta is 1/4tsp per 5 gallons, every 3 months.. Some, like myself, do less than that... But really the best way to know is to test your sulfites

You've got a couple weeks-ish to wait, depending on the lees in the bottom, but i dont rack more than is absolutely necessary

There are cases where you want sorbate even if you don't backsweeten. There can be residual sugar depending starting brix, the yeast used and the other factors in the fermentation environment.

The previous posts are correct in what is used for which when stabilizing a wine. Sulfite either sodium or potassium is used to keep oxidization from happening to your wine. Sorbate is used to inhibit yeast production. In other words yeast and sugar cannot make contact so there is no ferment. There are other added benefits to adding sorbate to your wine. Potassium sorbate also inhibits certain kinds of molds from being able to infect your wine. If I remember correctly more than the re-ferment issue is why it is added to kit wines during stabilizing. ( Another foot note if you do not add sulfite do not add sorbate you will wind up with a good potential of a malolactic ferment and that will produce a geranium aroma in your wine.)

Rjb is correct. I will add this though, if no sulfites were used or malolactic fermentation was initiated at some point, add lysozyme instead or sorbic acid (sorbate). It will prevent the geranium flavor.

Sorbate is only needed when you plan on sweetening your wine. Sorbate keeps yeast from making more yeast. When you add sorbate to a wine, add k-meta as well because it helps to sorbate work more effectively.

The rule of thumb for k-meta is 1/4tsp per 5 gallons, every 3 months.. Some, like myself, do less than that... But really the best way to know is to test your sulfites

You've got a couple weeks-ish to wait, depending on the lees in the bottom, but i dont rack more than is absolutely necessary
What is K-meta again.

I never use Sorbate, I don't like the bobble gum taste it leaves. I only use K Meta to prevent oxidation.
I backsweetin and still dont use it. One day I will type up the process I use to do this but typing with 2 finger makes a batch of beer less of a chore

mmadmikes1 said:
I never use Sorbate, I don't like the bobble gum taste it leaves. I only use K Meta to prevent oxidation.
I backsweetin and still dont use it. One day I will type up the process I use to do this but typing with 2 finger makes a batch of beer less of a chore

Really? You dont use sorbate and you backsweeten? Please do share your details on this? Have you had any refermentation in your bottles? i am going to do my first back sweetining today and am looking for good information on this.

Last edited:
I would like to see that information as well. I backsweeten almost all of my wine. Not having to add Sorbate would be great.

Last edited:
reefman said:
I would like to see that information as well. I backsweeten almostall of my wine. Not having to add Sorbate would be great.

Yea exactly. well one of these days im just not gonna add sorbate and backsweeten and see what happens! but its good to here others experiences with this matter beforehand.

I use a yeast they alcohol tolerance is my set ABV. I add sugar needed to reach that goal+ a little(remember we are going to backsweetin) Once the wine has finished fermenting (stable SG for 3 days in a row at proper temperature), I sweeten. I do add K Meta at this point to help control oxidation. I age for 6 months in carboy before bottling. If by chance is does re-ferment it is not a bifg deal because it will not go far because the yeast was maxed out (almost and will max out now). While you are aging (6 months) the wine should have naturally de-gassed and cleared as well. Recheck your SG to make sure you are at the sweetness you want. If you add more sugar at this point I would suggest waiting a little while more before bottling. Have never had a bottle bomb caused by re fermenting. Have had some because I didnt leave enough air space under core . Had corks fly because I didnt degas good as well

Back