Possible Idea for Aquiring cheap bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojabri

Frequent Lurker
Reaction score
My husband thought of this the other night as I was going on (again) about how I have to (again) go buy bottles AT FULL PRICE!! This is against my moral code, it seriously pains me to pay retail for ANYTHING!

Since he often does advertising work for several establishments including local liquor stores he suggested an "empties for a cause" recycling bin. In short, we'd put a bin in the liquor store and offer to donate 25cents for each clean bottle in the bin to a local charity. Generally our charity of choice is our local emergency home and food shelter or our local battered/abused women's home. I know one store that has 4 local chains will go for it, not sure about the other 4 or so. Yeah we have very few.

What do you think? I mean I benefit by paying less out of pocket and we help the community?

As noble as it sounds, I have never had any issue getting bottles from friends or neighbors in exchange for a bottle or 3 of my wines...

As noble as it sounds, I have never had any issue getting bottles from friends or neighbors in exchange for a bottle or 3 of my wines...

I don't have any wine drinking friends except the ones who drink mine and return bottles. Seems everyone around me is either beer or liquor people.

Wish I had a way to get them free or in trade but I've been trying for months with no result. Even had a local restaurant manager tell me he wouldn't save them because it was illegal (yeah right, my left ....)

I think it's worth a shot. However, at least where I am, alot of non-rural cities offer free recycling pickup with your trash, as long as it's separated. Not sure how many people would lug bottles to a store when they can pitch them in a bin and have them picked up for free despite going to a good cause.

I understand and there are a few others here unable to get them. I think you have a great idea going.

Do you have any wineries near you? It's a great source for free bottles or some charge $2/case for their tasting bottles.

Good idea but has the store ok'd this? I know some a fussy about bringing empties in, hope it all works out. Is there a winery nearby, they put out their empties for anyone to pick up.

I think it's worth a shot. However, at least where I am, alot of non-rural cities offer free recycling pickup with your trash, as long as it's separated. Not sure how many people would lug bottles to a store when they can pitch them in a bin and have them picked up for free despite going to a good cause.

As much as my city is touted as one if not the most self-sustainable city in the US, I've cruised the street on the night before recycling day to find very little. With this idea I was going to leave a note to the recycler to save them for me and I'd reimburse them... no luckski.

I understand and there are a few others here unable to get them. I think you have a great idea going.

Do you have any wineries near you? It's a great source for free bottles or some charge $2/case for their tasting bottles.

We do have a few, I've attempted to contact the closest several times but they haven't responded.

Good idea but has the store ok'd this? I know some a fussy about bringing empties in, hope it all works out. Is there a winery nearby, they put out their empties for anyone to pick up.

Hubby has worked with the owner for 7 years, I am positive there would be no probs.

I've also contemplated putting ads in the local papers or pull-tab flyers in the stores to buy direct from people. I'm racking my brain here. Since I try to NEVER ask the hubby for money for my hobby, my expendable cash flow is getting really low even though all my earnings are mine to do with as I please. I only work one day per month but make $150 for the day.... soooo... meh!

We do have a few, I've attempted to contact the closest several times but they haven't responded.

They are probably too busy to deal with a non customer over the phone who wants something for free. You need to go in, taste their wine, talk to them and bring the subject up in the tasting room. This also has to happen when they are not busy with other customers.

They are probably too busy to deal with a non customer over the phone who wants something for free. You need to go in, taste their wine, talk to them and bring the subject up in the tasting room. This also has to happen when they are not busy with other customers.

I have a cousin who works at a winery/B and B, and trying to get her to keep them for me is like pulling teeth! I suppose at one point she had like 6 boxes, but my uncle threw them out. My mom called and gave him the what-for and hopefully he'll allow her to keep them now. I nearly keeled over when he said he threw them out.

I don't have any wine drinking friends except the ones who drink mine and return bottles. Seems everyone around me is either beer or liquor people.

Wish I had a way to get them free or in trade but I've been trying for months with no result. Even had a local restaurant manager tell me he wouldn't save them because it was illegal (yeah right, my left ....)

There MAY indeed be a legal issue here. Recycling bottles with the labels intact CAN result in someone filling a bottle with cheap wine or spirits
and charging big bucks for the contents as labeled. I don't know that recycling bottles is a problem in NYS but I can imagine that in some states empties from bars and restaurants need to be smashed rather than given away and that those with licenses to sell wine or spirits may feel they are risking their livelihood if they fail to comply.

Gina, maybe you should work up a detailed deal with your aunt and uncle. Personally, I have no problem with a few boxes sitting around waiting for a friend who wants them. But I have very persnickity friends (with gorgeous uncluttered homes) who could never ever ever just let 6 boxes of something sit around. Just looking at it would ruin their chi, and it is afterall, their home. So maybe agree to pick up when ever there are 2 cases, along those lines. And be pushier with any friends who get full bottles from you about wanting them back, rinsed after emptied. New is pricy, I agree.

Pam in cinti

Gina sorry, read that wrong about your friends. They are already good at returning empties. Maybe ask them to start collecting empties from parties. You could do a 5 empties for 1 full exchange program. I know you give it to them now, but if it starts costing too much you can't keep up that pace. Asking that now might make things go a lot smoother in the future.

Gotta go rack my first ever real kits out of primary. Luna Bianca. yummy stuff

Pam in cinti

Gina, maybe you should work up a detailed deal with your aunt and uncle. Personally, I have no problem with a few boxes sitting around waiting for a friend who wants them. But I have very persnickity friends (with gorgeous uncluttered homes) who could never ever ever just let 6 boxes of something sit around. Just looking at it would ruin their chi, and it is afterall, their home. So maybe agree to pick up when ever there are 2 cases, along those lines. And be pushier with any friends who get full bottles from you about wanting them back, rinsed after emptied. New is pricy, I agree.

Pam in cinti

The funny part is my cousin lives with our Gramma, the uncle just threw them out. It thoroughly ticked off my mom, hence the what-for he got. She's saving some now I think but has been taking a bit of time off up to recently due to her studies and just passing the test to become a nurse.

I wish you were closer to me. I have about 40-50 cases to bring to the landfill. These are empty tasting room bottles. I hold them for a year and then dispose of them. These are what is left that I haven't found a home for yet.

I wish you were closer to me. I have about 40-50 cases to bring to the landfill. These are empty tasting room bottles. I hold them for a year and then dispose of them. These are what is left that I haven't found a home for yet.

Excuse me a moment while I shed a tear into tonight's DB LOL

Nice Rich, what a way to make a grown girl cry! :)

Grapeman,

If you weren't in communist country (ney york state) id come get them. But I'm not allowed in any state that refuses to recognize myright to carry a loaded firearm on my person when I want to.

It's a shame to trash that many cases of bottles. I hope you find someone close to take them off your hands.

I am so sorry you don't get free bottles. I on the other hand have my dear husband ask me, "What are you gonna do with all those bottles"?? All I did was ask my quilting buddies and every couple of weeks I get another box full. I do have quite a few at the moment, but I'm trying my best to fill them up!:db

Latest posts

Back