Polycarbonate Water Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormanfarm

Reaction score
I have several polycarbonate water bottles (plastic) that I bought water in from the discount store. These are 3 gal and 5 gal. Has anyone used them for bulk storing wine for a number of months? I appreciate any imput. I am trying to save a buck.

You probably know polycarbonate water bottles have been linked to BPA. I'd overall be careful of them. Beyond that, storing wine is a lot different from storing water. Here's some examples: 1. wine contains alcohol which could react with non-resistant plastics; 2. During the fermentation process wine creates gas which exerts pressure on the container wall. Not a lot, but something to consider; 3. Wine (particularly red) gives off color and flavor that can leech into the plastic and impact later batches. 4. Although highly impact resistant, polycarbonate is not scratch resistant, making it difficult to clean without creating microbe breeding areas.

Short answer, I wouldn't do it. Consider BetterBottles or used glass if you must.

Tony P.

I use them for the first racking, about two months, then use glass. I think they are very easy to clean and sterilize, no problems so far, they are cheap enough that you can toss them after a couple uses if you are worried about cleaning.

You can use them for a primary; however, they allow a lot of oxygen to pass through (compared to a large oak barrel, glass carboy, or Better Bottle (or similar PET carboys) so on that alone they are unsuitable for long term storage unless your intent is to make really expensive vinegar.

May need a new wine rack

I am not going to comment on the actual degree of concern one should have about BPA leaching from polycarbonate as much (most?) of media reporting on scientific topics is overblown/sensationalized. This maybe true here or maybe not. I did read somewhere that breakdown of polycarbonate to form BPA is catalyzed by base so the use of alkaline cleaning agents such as Easy Clean/One Step may not be a good idea.

For the guys out there, note that ingestion of BPA may require the purchase of a new wine rack:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FYZZI2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back