Plum Wine Recipe Review

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
I steam-juiced 37 1/2 lb plums which yielded 18 qt plum juice. I have tentatively planned on the following recipe (this is my first plum wine). Please offer comments:

18 qt plum juice
Water to 6 1/2 gal
6 1/2 teaspoons yeast nutrient
3 t yeast energizer
6 1/2 teaspoons pectic enzyme
10 t acid blend
1 1/2 t grape tannin
6 Campden
Sugar to SG 1.095

I would use 16 quarts and save the last 2 for a f-pac. If so reduce the 2 quarts to less than 1 quart. Add after you degased and aded the k-meta and sorbate.
Also start @ 1.085 -1.090
Whats the yeast?

Thanks, Tepe. I started this one today. Must tastes a little tart but time will tell.

Pitched the yeast yesterday and fermentation is slowly starting 24 hours later. Used EC 1118. Starting SG was 1.090.

The white foam is gone. The SG is now 1.052 and the fermentation is a "fizz". Smell remains great. Stirred vigorously and re-covered.

SG is now 1.03 and the color is fantastic. As soon as this one goes in the carboy I will post a photo.

SG is .990. Racked and added K-Meta. Leaving for the mountains for 2 weeks. Will degas, add F-Pac, backsweeten and add sorbate when I return.

Thanks, Gaudet. I have arrived there and enjoying a glass of dry blackberry from the cellar.

The plum is now in glass. It has been degassed and is clearing. I just tasted it for the first time and it has a hint of bitterness. I had reserved 2 quarts juice to reduce and make an F-Pac but now I am becoming hesitant to do so. I will give this more time and defer my decision until later.

The F-Pac was added and the wine backsweetened, bottled and will soon be on its way to the mountains. Not bad at this stage--just a bit tart. Will give it a year.

Latest posts

Back