Plum, tobacco, grass, spice, etc. flavors

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had to comment on the "description sellers" listed on wine bottles.
I was reading through a circular a local grocery store puts out and they were discussing summertime recipes, wines, etc. They had a few wines listed with brief descriptions and I noticed one of them read "hints of black and blue fruits with a graphite flavor and smoky end".
Huh? graphite flavor. I would just like to know where a person can buy some graphite to try because "I gotta have me some graphite".

I think some of these people/wineries are really stretching to get the masses to bite on their product.

What they are describing is minerality. Depending on the location, soil types and grape variety that description is very possible. Chenin blanc is known for its flinty characteristics. Cheers

Oh, I get that but come on, graphite? Just give a basic description if you must and call it a day.
And I realize it is nothing more than a marketing ploy but some of these wineries/bottlers are really stretching it.

My money says that you certainly have access to loads of graphite. Pencil "lead" is still made of graphite, isn't it?

Last time I chewed on the end of my pencil it didn't taste very good, and stained my teeth worse than red wine.

I tend to beleive that it is more than just a marketing ploy. I have tried plenty of wines where the descriptions on the bottle did a pretty good job of giving me a good idea of what the wine will taste like.. Graphite might be stretching it a bit in the flavor descriptions sector tho....

It seems that a majority of wines will attempt to describe something as a flavor instead of what is, most likely, a retronasal smell. The phenolic compounds that are released from the seeds and skin during fermentation are likely what is causing the perception of different flavors, when really it might not be a taste at all. As for additive "non-grape" flavors, they are chemicals released from the binding of the grape through fermentation. There is no green pepper in a wine but instead terpene and no added passion fruit, merely thiol. As for the graphite, that might be a unique soil terroir that is trying to be showcased but I have to agree it's not necessarily the most inviting sounding flavor...

Here's one from Wine library TV where he tastes a few select Amarones... and comes up with "spider web" at one point.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScUuDdOdaus[/ame]

:s

Latest posts

Back