Please help!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmcca27966

Reaction score
I am interested in making wine and wanted to do a trial run with store bought juice. (100% juice no preservatives)I am 6 days into initial fermentation with concord grape juice and boy have I made some mistakes!! I began to smell rotton egg smell (slight) when i put my nose to the airlock. I splash racked it 3 times yesterday and put the airlock back on it. Today the airlock smells slightly like rotton eggs but if i remove it and smell the wine i do not smell rotten eggs.

It sounds like you are okay. The smell of H2S usually comes from over stressed yeast. The sooner you treat it the better. Racking, as you did, is probably the best and easiest thing to do. You can also stir the wine with a copper mesh or siphon the wine through a clean and sanitized copper tube. Another cure is to add CuSO4, but I would not recommend that for two reasons, first, your experience level and second, it seems like most of the problem is gone. I would, however, clean out and refill the airlock. The Sulfur you are smelling at the airlock could be SO2 from the K-meta, assuming that you use a K-meta solution in the airlock.

Ok Awesome!!! I did the last splash rack through copper tubing. Also checked SG on the last splash rack and it read about 1.022. I capped it and its back to bubbles. I didnt use K-meta but again I smell it at the airlock but when I opened it to rack it the smell was faint if any. Thank you so very much for you insight and advice.
Charlie

Latest posts

Back