Please Advise(Vintners Harvest Cherry)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben485

Junior
Reaction score
I am making a 6 gal. batch of cherry wine using 2 cans of vintners harvest, and have some questions that I need help with. First, is the recipe on the vh can good? It reads for 3 gal:
7lbs white sugar
1 tsp acid blend
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
3 campden tabs
(will double)

That seem like a lot of sugar, no? The label doesn't give a starting SG, so where should that be? 1.090? Next, sould I use a mesh bag or just pour it in the primary? Also, what yeast would be best between: Lalvin 71B-1122, K1-V1116, or EC-1118?
Thanks for any advice,
Ben

Yes it does. Use your hydrometer. I would never add sugar blindly. Here is the program I use. http://www.xs4all.nl/~mpesgens/thwp/winecalc.html
Once you download take sample fromwhat ever amt you are making and ck gravity. Shoot for 1.085 for fruit wines. Then take about 3qts and heat. Add sugar to that and stir till dissolved.

Always us a bag when using fruit

Yep these recipes seem to always ask for a lot more sugar then needed so add about 1/2 to 3/4 of that amount and adjust up or try Toms program there. I have done these many times in the past and find that about 3/4 of that amount is usually perfect. Im glad you are using the 3 gallon recipe and not the 5, the 5 always seems to come out thin and weak in flavor.

Thanks Tom and Wade. Very helpful. What do you guys think about the yeast question?

I think 1.085 -1.090 is fine and I would probably go with the first yeast selection.

How much cherry flavor to add to Vintner's Harvest Cherry Wine

I'm making my first batch of non-grape based wine. Decided on a 5 gallon batch of Vintner's Harvest Cherry. Based on a recommendation from my local brew supply expert, it was suggested that I use (2) 96oz cans of cherry base plus a 3 pound can of Sweet Cherry Puree for the 5 gallon batch. The instructions recommend adding fruit flavoring. Question: When, in the process, should I add this? And, how much per gallon should I add?

Latest posts

Back