plastic water containers vs carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fabrictodyefor

Reaction score
I attempted to find the answer to this in previous threads to no avail. My question: I can purchase a new 5 gallon water jug at Wal Mart for $12, a plastic carboy from Morewine cost me $24. Will the cheaper one work? Thanks....it may not seem like much, but now that I have this bug, I can see getting more carboys/jugs for more wine...

Look at the recycle stamp on the bottom of the bottle. If it is a '1', you would probably be OK for secondary fermentation and clearing. I would not use one for bulk aging. If it is anything other than a ' 1 ', I would pass and spend the extra on the one at Morewine. Those are good for anything you want to do with them.

Well you can use either. Keep in mind plastic scratches easier from cleaning over time.

I used to use the grocery store ones many moons ago and it seemed to work for a basic carboy.
What I found is that the sediment seems to get trapped in the handle part.

I've never used the better bottles but recommend glass carboys... easy to clean and very nice to use.

I've found used ones on craigslist for as little as $10 per.

for a primary, I would go with a food grade 5 are 6 are 7 gallon plain white bucket, with no lid...
ferment to dry,, then transfer to carboy with airlock....

Yes you can use them if they are food grade. I suggest only using it for fermentation's for very short term usage (3-4) weeks. They would also be good for when you need a container to rack into while cleaning the other carboy you just rack out of (or as in emergencies). If you want to take the first step to making good wine, buy the right equipment. Simply put, short term and emergencies ok, long term..No!

I have a few of them but use them only to transport fresh juice when I purchase it if it doesn't come already in the 6 gal buckets.
Using these results in less chance of any spillage in my vehicle.... I plan on getting some fresh juice from Presque Isle & Walkers this fall, It will then ferment in buckets & finally transfer to glass. I only use glass as my final vessels prior to bottling.

Al

If it is food grade plastic, you can use it at least for short-term storage/primary. I would not use any plastic for bulk aging that was not clearly rated for long-term gas non-permeability (ie Better Bottles).

For example, readily available beverage bottles are semi-gas permeable (link). See refs at link for details.

This question comes up several times a year. In Costa Rica this is all I have to use. I've been using them for several years including for bulk aging with no problems.

thank you for all the information. I will take everyone's opinion into consideration, however it may not be an issue....talked with one of my quilting buddies and she knows someone who has many glass carboys...wine making equipment, etc and no longer uses any of it...mmmmmmmm may have a great supply coming my way!

Latest posts

Back