Plastic vs. Glass...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaineGal

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if there is any difference in using plastic buckets vs using a glass carboy? I have many buckets available, but today found an ad on Craigslist for 7 carboys for $120.00.... Should I get the glass?
Thanks.

don't think U would regret having more glass. Sounds like a good price. What size are they?

One is a five gallon...6 are six gallon.

I do have one glass carboy I am currently using, but I have to say I'm afraid of it breaking....

I guess what I'm really asking is if my wine is going to be affected by using either/or ??

While making wine, the buckets are used for primary fermentation to get it past the vigorous activity and give it more room for foaming etc. Once that activity slows down you need to control headspace to minimize oxidation. Buckets are meant for short term usage. Glass carboys are good for longer term to finish your wine up in since you fill them to the bottom of the neck-reducing surface exposure to oxygen. What I am saying is- yes, glass is your friend!

What size are the carboys? Are they the Better Bottle brand?

Assuming you are buying Better Bottles, here's what I have found:

They are fully food grade and will NOT affect the taste of the wine.

Plastic carboys don't really let in air, as most people think. If they did, that could be seen as an advantage, since much of the "concentration effect" in a neutral oak barrel is letting the wine's water and alcohol evaporate, while letting minute amounts of oxygen in.

Plastic carboys are not easily broken.

Plastic carboys cannot easily be readily moved with an air lock in place. Lifting the bottle will suck the air lock solution into the bottle. Then, when you set it down, any solution let in the air lock will be blown out of the air lock. When you get ready to move one, remove the air lock, stop up the opening in the bung, move it, then reinstall the air lock.

Six-gallon Better Bottles have a much bigger mouth on them, which makes it easier to put things like oak into them, and to get it back out later.

Because the mouth is bigger, you need a different size bung/stopper for a Better Bottle.

You can't draw a vacuum on a plastic bottle. It will simply cave the sides in until the liquid spills out the top.

That's my list, none of which is a serious negative. I like to use a Better Bottle as the fermentation's second stage carboy. The larger mouth makes it easier to transfer the oak to the carboy.

If I had a chance to get a few at a good price, I, personally, would buy them.

Hi MainGal,

I may have misunderstood. I just assumed you had a chance to buy plastic carboys; maybe they are glass. Either way, more is better.
smiley32.gif

I wish such opportunity would come my way!

BTW, I like your little saying about heads/tails. How True!!!

Hi Richard,
No problem...we were posting at the same time...

As I stated earlier, I dont like glass because I'm afraid I'll break them, but after reading Appleman's post, it makes sense that I shouldn't be aging in plastic because of the headspace issue. (Wish I would have asked this question much earlier.....I currently have 9 kits going in plastic right now.....)

My local health food store sells the glass 6.5 gallon carboys for $40-something dollars each.... Getting 7 for $120.00 is a good buy.

You said, "Either way, more is better.
smiley32.gif
" ..... I do hope my hubby agrees with you.
smiley36.gif

I bought a camping pad from walmart for $5.00 cut it up into smaller bits to fit under each glass carboy i have. It's been working well for me as a cushion as I have tile floors. Had enough foam to make cushions for 5 carboys.

One thing I hadn't thought about -

In order to keep oxidation low, keeping the liquid level to within 2 inches of the top is important for aging. Am I right?

One could use plastic Better Bottles for aging by placing an adjustable strap around the carboy. The liquid level would rise as the strap is tightened. Tighten until the level is within two inches of the top. Of course there is a practical limit as to how much one would want to squeeze the poor carboy. I can't picture an hourglass-shaped carboy!
smiley17.gif

Maybe that is a good (decent?) alternative to handfuls of marbles in the carboy.

Hm-m-m-m, maybe I am thinking too much here, but as temperature fluctuates, if the bung is air tight, wouldn't the plastic bottle simply expand and contract, without letting air in and out?

Seems temperature fluctuations would be a bigger problem for glass, as the bung could only hold so much of a pressure difference before leaking.

Done thinking for the day!!! But I do think I have a point.

IQwine said:
give him a glass or two of wine... and he will agree
smiley20.gif

LOL...I called him at work (while he's at lunch) and explained that HIS wine could be affected because of the oxidation issue.... He quickly agreed! LOL

I will be picking them up at 4 pm!

I should also note that I found a suction/vacuum machine on CL for $75.00. Am hoping we can use this to rack & bottle with instead of having to lift and transport full glass carboys.

It is a OptiVac Gomco by Allied, model # model S178,G178,L178. Does anyone have any experience using this machine?

Thanks, all of you, for your input. I'm grateful!

I haven't used that brand, buy it pretty much fits the same specs as what most of us have, the Schuco 130. It will pull up to 21" of vacuum, which is as high as needed unless you plan to vacuum rack up a flight of stairs.

Where in Maine? My sister lives in Portland.

lol...Nope, wont be racking up a flight of stairs! (interesting visual though!)

I'm an hour north of your sister, just outside of Augusta.

Latest posts

Back