Pitched the wrong yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palinkagus

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I put together a must for 4 gallons of mead using orange blossom honey. I prepared everything 24 hours in advance (added pectic enzyme, tannin, acid blend, etc.). I just pitched the yeast and to my horror I realized that I mistakenly added cider yeast instead of sweet mead yeast. Did I screw the pooch on this batch or will it be OK?

I'm not a mead expert by any stretch, but in the big scheme of things, yeast is yeast is yeast. I'm sure it will be just fine. Many a good batch of wine turned out because of a happy accident. You never know.....

The only yeasts I've seen labelled/listed as "sweet mead" yeast have been the liquid ones from White Labs and Wyeast. I haven't tried the White Labs one, it's not available here, but the wyeast one is a finicky PITA to use. I understand that if you "get it right" then it's very nice, but if not, it's a bloody nuisance for causing partial ferments, stuck ferments, etc etc.

The cider yeast ? Well is there really any "proper" yeast for cider ? Dunno. Cider can be made with all sorts, as can mead.

If you are using correct technique, then it should be fine.

Oh, and with meads, there's no need to use pectolase and acid blend (pectolase if there's fruit in it, otherwise it's wasted) and acid blend, or acid of any single type should be added to taste once the ferment is complete (using it during the ferment is an old technique that's largely been discredited - just honey and water provides a plenty low enough pH for the yeast). It probably won't be an issue, but watch carefully for stuck ferments - and if it does stick, then test the pH.

p.s. Oh and here's a handy link, if you're new to mead making. It discusses pretty much everything you might need to know.....

Latest posts

Back