WineXpert PITCHED MY FIRST BATCH!!! Austrailian Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, any new updates?

Hey, thanks for asking! Yes....last night was the 10 day mark in the secondary so as per the instructions I added the stabilizer and clarifier. I used a drill and stirred for about 4 minutes to "degas" but much to my surprise there was almost ZERO CO2 left. I have to believe this was from the ALL IN ONE wine pump! anyway....everything is looking (and smelling) good...so now as per the instructions....its gotta sit at least another 14 days before bottling. ;-)

Thanks!
Steve

Hey, thanks for asking! Yes....last night was the 10 day mark in the secondary so as per the instructions I added the stabilizer and clarifier. I used a drill and stirred for about 4 minutes to "degas" but much to my surprise there was almost ZERO CO2 left. I have to believe this was from the ALL IN ONE wine pump! anyway....everything is looking (and smelling) good...so now as per the instructions....its gotta sit at least another 14 days before bottling. ;-)

Thanks!
Steve

I'm glad it's going well. That's great that there wasn't much CO2 left. How many times have you racked it with the AllinOne? Also, I'm curious what was the temperature of the must when you stirred it yesterday? I'm asking because I usually have quite a bit of gas left at that point.

I stabilized a batch this morning, and I was determined to stir for only 4 minutes this time per the WE instructions. So just to be sure that I got as much gas as I could I put the carboy in a waterbath last night with an aquarium heater to make sure the wine was at 75 when I stirred. For the first time I got a mini wine volcano erupt. I've never had that when I stirred with the wine at 72 so I'm thinking that maybe those few degrees more are critical to releasing all the gas. I had previously used the AllinOne to rack from primary to secondary. I figure my next racking with the AllinOne will tell me if I got it all or not.

well, I honestly did not pay any attention to the temp in secondary. it sat in the same room that is air-conditioned so I am sure it was in the 70 to 75 degree range but I cant be sure.

I had done 2 rackings with the all in one (and I did a little shaking of the carboy myself. lol )

Steve

Make sure you do not bottle until you're sure it's properly degassed. Not much worse than a fizzy red... :)

Update

Sorry for taking so long for making an update, but there really wasn't much to say as I was waiting on the the wine. :)

According to the kit and the date I made it, it was supposed to be "drink ready" January 11th.

I waited until last night (the 22nd) to crack open a bottle and have a little blind tasting. Below are my results and thoughts about the batch and process:

So firstly, for the blind tasting, I put it up against a bottle of Trader Joe's Charles Shaw Shiraz.

(*DISCLAIMER: from this point on, im going to be using descriptive words according to MY perception of the smells and taste. if I get the wine speak wrong, its because I I do not drink wine and know very little about what im doing...and this was my first batch. LOL ;-) )

With that said, here we go:

The opening of the bottles:

When removing the quark from the Charles Shaw Shiraz, there was a certain and definite loud POP as the quark broke loose from the bottle. this set up the expectation of the same when I opened mine. Sadly, while mine made a sound, it was small and faint and not near the POP the commercial wine made. Not sure if that is good/bad or indifferent in meaning...but it was disappointing and worrisome.

As far as looks go, they were very close in color. Granted, I did not have wine glasses on hand, so I cant give a detailed account on cloudiness/clarity of the wine because I just poured them up into red solo cups for the tasting. Also, the wine was served up at room temp. no chilling at all.

THE SMELL TEST:

Keep in mind, this was a blind test, so we had no idea if we were smelling or tasting the commercial wine, or my wine.

The first wine we smelled, we both agreed (my mother and me) had a much more "in your face" aroma. To me, I thought it has a slightly sweet smell to it. So I am going to assume and say that the smell of the grape was more forward in this wine.

the second wine had a very similar smell, but the smell on this one was more subdued and you had to sniff a little harder to get a really good smell. it didn't seem to have a sweet smell at all...but if you were to take away the sweet smell that seemed to cut through on the first wine, and take away the fact that the first wine was a little more in your face...the actual smell was very very similar. this was encouraging because at the very least, it meant that my wine had not gone the way of vinegar! LOL

Keep in mind I do not drink. my mother drinks wine but not often or a lot and she prefers whites.

Both of us had the exact same thoughts/opinions and here it is:

we could tell almost zero difference in the taste of these 2 wines. they could have both come from the exact same bottle as far as we were concerned. Now, on one hand....that was disappointing because according to the sales guy, this kit should have blown a Charles Shaw wine out of the water. And it certainly did not do that. but I feel it certainly held its own. They were the same IMO. So, for it to be my very first batch of wine, I am willing to call that a success because I was prepared and willing to open every bottle and pour it down the drain! ;-) While I will not say im *PROUD* of my first wine, I am certainly not ashamed and I am perfectly happy to share it with friends and family and say "that's my wine. I made it." giving the disclaimer that its my first batch that is. ;-)

a side note for me to correct in future batches:

when the Charles Shaw wine was poured up, it didn't have any bubbles. Mine did produce some bubbles when poured up. not a lot, but more then it should have been in my opinion. I am going to assume it needed a bit more degassing??? <---COMMENTS PLEASE!

The other thing that I am slightly disappointed by is, I did have a couple very tiny but visible with the eye, partials in my wine. this is frustrating because I filtered it using the allinone and the whole home filter set up. I almost think these partials are small strands of fiber from the filter!!! Not sure what to do about that or what to do differently to correct that in future batches? <--- THOUGHTS and COMMENTS PLEASE!

I think my next batch will be a apple/cinnamon mascato!

SUGGESTIONS ON THE BEST KIT TO USE FOR THIS????

Thanks in advance for feedback! :)

Last edited:
Congrats! I rate that a success. Yes, I agree with your conclusion that your wine may have needed a bit more degassing. You might try this on a future glass: pour a bit in a container you can close (like a mason jar or bottle) and shake it up for a while. Then taste this glass back-to-back with a glass that you did NOT shake. See if you can perceive any difference.

Your wine has not aged nearly long enough. Give it another 12 months and do the comparison again. You'll be amazed what time can do for your wine... On another note, if your wine has sediment or gas in the bottles that will not change over time. Before you drink a bottle, a year from now, set it upright for a day then slowly pour it into a decanter leaving any sediment behind. Swirl it around in the decanter a bit to remove gas and let sit for an hour or so prior to drinking...

Another two cents:

Congratulations, your brand new wine held its own with a commercial wine! What's the comparative cost per bottle? Was it more enjoyable to make or buy?

Regarding the cork pop, this could also be a result of a little excess gas. When you open a wine, the pop is air going in, filling the vacuum you've made by pulling the cork quickly, unlike champagne, which pops because it is under pressure. If your wine was a little gassy, some CO2 coming out of solution in the bottle ( instead if the carboy), may have created slight pressure in the bottle, counteracting your vacuum pop.

I had a similar observation and conclusion on my second wine, a Pinot Grigio, which was a tad fizzy. Corks came out with little fanfare.

Just an update, about 2 weeks ago, I gave a bottle of this to a friend's wife...and she told me she would find someone to drink it with. Last night, I got a text from her husband letting me know that she and a friend of theirs were uncorking the bottle! The person she was drinking it with considers himself a "serious" wine drinker and has a walk in cooler/cellar in his home. about an hour into the bottle, I started getting a string of text messages from my friend telling me they were really enjoying the wine, and that the "serious" wine guy, took a real fancy to it and he told him that he had tried many home made wines in the past, and that most of them "sucked" and some of them were "OK at best" but that mine was "very good". Go figure! ;-)

he commented on the fact that my wine was very "ruby" in color and that was typical of a long aged wine. He wanted to know how I "sped up the oxidation process". LOL I did nothing special to this kit wine, and didn't even play with the kit. they really enjoyed it despite the fact that I personally know it could have and should have been better (ie degassed longer/better) but a success is a success is a success so I will take it!

that was enough encouragement for me to go out today and buy 2 more WineExpert's Moscato kits. but with this kit, im going to play with it and add some stuff to sort of make it my own -ish.

;-)

cant wait to start a new thread and the journey of my new and second batch! but it will be a double batch this time! 12 gal. 60 bottles! YAY! ;-)

Thanks,
Steve

Great to hear your excitement! Make room for more carboys! ;-)

in anticipation of that very problem, I picked up 2 extra's today as well. I have now made 1 kit, and I already have 3 buckets, and 4 carboys! LOL ;-)

Thank you! So...is it a bad sign that I have just been sitting here watching the airlock bubble for 45 minutes? LOL

;-)

I have often wondered.....is it the wine or is it the bubbles? My Winery (sounds so much nicer than plastic bucket) is in my office and I work alone. The bubbles are good company! Weird, but I find it rather relaxing to sit and watch the bubbles....my "Bubble breaks"...then back to work.

Could have saved a lot of cash if I had just bought a fish tank!:h:h:)

Latest posts

Back