Cellar Craft Pinot Noir California Reserve

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWMINNESOTA

Reaction score
20090617_163242_100_1150_Small.jpg

My little reward for helping the Mrs get her mist style kits going, just arrived today from George. The yeast I plan on using should be here tomorrow, maybe start after work. First one Ive done in awhile, also first with the "grape pack", will be an adventure I'm sure.

Just being nosy.

What yeast comes with the kit, and what yeast are you planning to use?

Thanks, Steve

Please be sure to tell us all about it as you bring it along into this world making it out of this world good. Nice reward. It's almost worth having the rug pulled out from under you so to speak.

cpfan said:
Just being nosy.

What yeast comes with the kit, and what yeast are you planning to use?

Thanks, Steve

20090617_173038_100_1151_Small.jpg

I'm glad you asked Steve, it gave me an excuse to bust 'er open and look. Grape pack looks luscious! I could spread that on some hot biscuits...but I wont
smiley36.gif

20090617_173357_100_1152_Small.jpg

The muslin bag is a nice touch, comes with oak dust , plan on using some French oak chips I also ordered during bulk aging instead. The yeast is EC-1118, I have White Labs WL749 (Assmanhausen) coming tomorrow that I will also use instead. Yeah Yeah, warranty blah
smiley36.gif
, its mine, this is what I'm doing!
smiley36.gif

JW, I've done this one. I would definitely suggest adding a little medium toast french oak after primary fermenation was complete. FWIW the kit could use it in my opinion.

I plan on doing just that Jeff,I suppose it wouldnt hurt togo ahead and use the oak dust that came with it also.
20090618_020046_100_1154_Small.jpg

What are the nutrient requirements of the WL749? Are you going to have to add extra nutrient?

Steve

Steve,

Assmanhausen isa sensitive yeast that has a slower start-up and moderate nitrogen needs. A single feeding of appropriate yeast nutrient around 1/3 sugar depletion should be sufficient to keep it going. I've found that when using Assmanhausen, the yeast seemed to need a much more gentle acclimation period while the starter was being made.

- Jim

JW, Using the oak dust would be fine. By my taste the oak flavor is barely noticable from the dust. I've used the chips (the ones in the picture) in place of the dustin primary fermentation with good results. Generally I use cubesafter primary fermentation.

So...I get home after a long HOT day, and all I hear is "can we start the wine now??"
smiley36.gif
So start it we did...

20090618_173727_100_1156_Small.jpg

Got the grape pack in the muslin bag,(nice to have the helping hands on this procedure)added to the must,stir and take readings...

20090618_173947_100_1157_Small.jpg

Added the oak dust, bentonite that had been hydrating, stir again...
20090618_174353_100_1158_Small.jpg

Pitch the yeast! Good description by the way Jim on the yeast, I plan on adding a little nutrient when racking to secondary. Kind of along the lines on the Meglioli instructions. Should help this along. Now waiting for the magic to begin!

JW,

While I didn't use a liquid version of the yeast, I did notice that it was the only yeast that I've used that had a pretty sluggish startup. Lallemand notes that in an ideal state with their dried yeast, 10% of the juice should be withheld and inoculated first for 8 hours and then introduced to the whole batch. While I did not use this method for my small scale inoculation, the yeast did have a bit of a rough start. However, I made another starter and this time introduced the juice into the yeast starter slower - 1/4 volume additions (total equal to starting volume of yeast starter) over the course of 20-30 minutes seemed to do the trick just fine.

I'm curious how the liquid version works - please keep us updated.

Thanks,

- Jim

It took to approx the 36 hr mark to visually see activity. At 30 hr, just before I called it a night, I could smell the change coming. It actually smelled like donuts of all things.
20090620_041648_100_1163_Small.jpg

Oddly enough, the temp of the must has actually decreased. It is at 72, was at 74.8 when started, ambient temp as remained the same.

20090621_091319_100_1166_Small.jpg

Punched the cap down on day three, other than the extended lag time, all seems to be progressing very well.

JW, is this a 7.9 gal bucket? It looks pretty close to overflow from the pictures. I'll be starting a CC Rosso next week and I was considering using the 7.9 gal instead of my 10 gal bucket so I can line it with a strainer bag. Now I'm wondering if that is unwise...

Jim, this is actually a 6.5 bucket. Had I used the 1118 I don't think I would of attempted it. As is, I did have another 6.5 ready if needed for overflow. My 7.9 is in use. I would think with all that said you would be safe in a 7.9.

I am interested in doing a Pinot Noir in the future. I am going to bewatching with anticipation to see how this turns out for you. Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. Gosh, I can almost taste a glass of that now.

JW, thanks for the info. I think I will give it a shot in the 7.9 gal bucket and post a few pics. I'm interested to see how lining the bucket with the strainer bag will work with the skins.

20090625_194406_100_1177_Small.jpg

Racked the Pinot to glass today, SG at 1.020, close enough
smiley36.gif
, filled a couple of magnums just in case! Ferment should be done in a few days, maybe in a week I'll rack again and add oak for bulk aging.

20090629_173229_100_1183_Small.jpg

Day 11 and we are finally approaching the SG of 1.000. Been a slow fairly mild ferment with this yeast, smells really good, cant wait to give it a little taste, maybe in a couple weeks when ferment is done.

20090705_034904_energizer_bunny.gif

This one just keeps going..and going...and...
smiley36.gif

Directions would have me stabilizing on the 8th, I think it will be a few days longer. Cooler temps than normal or the choice of yeast , or both, but still a very active ferment taking place.
20090705_035253_100_1193_Small.jpg

Latest posts

Back