PINOT NOIR/BLUEBERRY

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been putting a case of each wine away for a year [My personal Wine Aging Support Group].....The spare bedroom in the basement is pretty funky looking with cases of wine stacked up on one side of the bed....the heat turned off...cement floor...curtains pulled....it stays in the lower 60's year around]

Put most of it on a rack for 6 months later [The Reserve Rack]....and the remaining few bottles on another rack to taste each month or so....

We have a pretty good selection of wines on hand...so kind of rotate our tastings....

We don't have many carboys, so I don't have the luxury of carboy aging...I like to make wines during the winter as summer is busy and we tend to neglect our duties....probably good for the wines tho....
So, we make do with what we have on hand and the facilities.

We want a picture of that room!
smiley4.gif

Here's an old photo....
Have a couple more down there now....and a few under the bed....

casesSmall-1.jpg

I have no pride.
Do you still like me???

Northern Winos said:
Do you want to see whats on the other side of the bed????

SURE !
A man gotta do what he gotta do and that includes putting cases of wine in a bedroom.
A few years ago we had a wine club member who not only FERMENTED his wine but stored it in his "guest" bedroom. Needless to say he had NO guests. LOL !
smiley36.gif

Well...now you know....
Juice....to make wine....

I just went down and took this photo...

juiceSmall-7.jpg

Our quests are winos too.

It's not the best storage conditions....low 60's year around.

Looking at these photos...I ask myself...
"Is this a sickness???"
smiley9.gif

Shhh!!! Jim doesn't know there is wine under the bed too.
As well...I must confess...there is squash under there too...
We built this house too small...before we started making wine..
Guess we not only have our priorities...We are just slobs.....
smiley9.gif

Hey!. I have 14 carboys aging in my living room. I have 10 more carboys aging in my den.

20090123_193208_IMG_1611.JPG

Geez!!!!....Show and Tell...

What do your guests think???
Or are they winos too????

I feel a little bit better now.....
smiley4.gif

YOU PEOPLE DON,T NOW TEPE LIKE I DO HE,S GOT WINE COMING OUT OF EVERYWHERE BEYOND OPPSESSION...HA

Now I don't feel so bad.I have aprox. 180 bottles of wine still in carboys and have been wondering how I was going to store it.I started collecting the stongest empty cases from the liquor store and had planned on setting them on the side like you NW, but was afraid people would shun me for not having a proper Cellar! There is no way I could ever find room in my basement for a special room, first of all it would never be big enough as I keep getting the itch to make more, and secondly every time I clean an area, my wife fills it with"stuff".

Nice looking wine there NW, and as always, I like your labels. The Wino Room is a definite keeper. Careful though. Ifthat's a guest bedroom, I'd keep a good inventory of my stock.
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

smikes said:
Now I don't feel so bad.I have aprox. 180 bottles of wine still in carboys and have been wondering how I was going to store it.I started collecting the stongest empty cases from the liquor store and had planned on setting them on the side like you NW, but was afraid people would shun me for not having a proper Cellar! .

FYI......
When you look for some boxes try to get ones with heavy cardboard dividers...helps hold the weight....

You can stack them over-lapping like bricks too...Helps distribute the weight.

I use wide tape and tape the bottoms of the boxes as well as the tops tightly closed....

Here is my stash....
The Wine racks were and afterthought and were built to fit the spaces available...they are 2 deep and have' like kind' wine on the back rack.

The plastic crates hold 17 claret style bottles...12 in a cardboard box and 17 in a crate... About takes care of a batch of wine.....

I put a piece of 2X4 wood under the front of the crates to slope them back ward...keeps the Burgundy bottles in the crate....

[Loading these photos right to here...PhotoBucket is acting up today...Hope this works....]

20090124_142014_tote_Small.jpg

20090124_142436_totes_Small.jpg
20090124_141256_stash_Small.jpg

Northern,

Where did you get the wooden racks?

Latest posts

Back