Mosti Mondiale Pinot Grigio del Veneto

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darryl said:
Hi JW!!! I'm still new at this wine game... will the two yeasts, put up two contrasting tastes... I guess I'm asking will yeast make a difference in the final taste????????

Yes, every yeast will impart its own enhancement to your wine. Either its own particular flavor, or its ability to bring out a particular characteristic present in your juice. As noted by Jim Cook, a good place to learn a little about yeast and there different characteristics is Scott Labs 2009 Fermentation Guide , you can download a copy from this page.

http://www.scottlab.com/products/fermentation/

Most all makers of wine yeast will have a home page that goes into some detail as to what their yeast are capable of , recommendation per varietal, and what to expect as far as finished product.

vcasey said:
By the way JW still waiting on the taste tests - I know its still early........
VC

Ahhhh VC, I should send you one and see who breaks first!
smiley36.gif

I've got a tremendous amount of will power. I'd be willing to accept one of each of the three and return honest critiques once you said "go".

I'd send a bottle of my PG in return - not a very good return for you at 3 to 1, but I'll tell you that up front.

JWMINNESOTA said:
vcasey said:
By the way JW still waiting on the taste tests - I know its still early........
VC

Ahhhh VC, I should send you one and see who breaks first!
smiley36.gif

Funny! Don't forget I've got 2 meads going that will be at 2-3 years before they are bottled and another 2-3 years before they are ready! I'm really just interested in what the different yeasts bring to the wine. I've really been starting to experiment more with yeast but since most of my wine making this year has consisted of mead making, it will be a while before I know the results.
I did discover that when Lalvin said that D254 was a vigorous fermenter, they may have understated that just a bit! I had 5 1/4 gallons of cherry mead in my 10 gallon fermenter and the foam came all they to the top. Not over but it was close. Thank goodness the 8 gallon fermenters were full!
VC

JW,

On a serious note, have you been able to determine the impact of the Opti-white on either of your PG's?

Thanks,
Ike

While it is too early to tell for certain Ike, I do detect a "fuller mouth feel" if that makes sense. The harsh, just fermented burn wasn't very noticeable. One of these days I'm going to have to give it a whirl on a Chardonnay.

Latest posts

Back