Mosti Mondiale Piesporter without elderflowers???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Kid

Reaction score
I completed a Piesporter kit this summer from Wine Expert, I believe. Anyway, I loved the outcome. It came with Elderflowers. So I paid a little more, ordered an M&M kit this time and to my surprise, no elderflowers. Now I am a little concerned. I really thought that I needed those for a good product.Were they supposed to be in the kit? I have had several kits lately with missing additives,oak, clearing agents and nutrients. Since I am new at this, my first reaction is Oh NO! They forgot something AGAIN!I was so pleased with the first kit. Now am apprehensive about this one. Does anyone out there know if elderflowers are a necessity or not. I know I am new, but I spent a lot of time in Germany and I am curious about this particular additive in relation to the overall success of this particular wine.

MM does not come with Elderflowers and Im pretty sure only Winexpertwines and only a few of those come with that additive.

OK so, where does the hint of fragrance come from if there are no flowers in the kit?

RJS kits also come with elderflowers for Piesporter. I'm not sure how MM obtains the fragrance. Do it and then compare the two to let us know which one your palate prefers.

Well, I'm feelin' kinda apprehensive. Gota feeling that this cannot be good. From blogs have gotten impression that more expensive kits would produce better wines. But logic tells me that this particular additive is a major player.

Some of the Vineco kits come with elderflowers. I guess similar to Winexpert and Spagnols.

Personally I would leave the elderflowers out if the kit came with them. So I guess it's personal choice.

Steve

Yeah, and My personal choice included elderflowers! I really LIKED the results of that first kit. But I liked it sooo much that I thought I would spend a little more and perhaps get even better results. Never dawned on me that there would be no elderflowers. I had had such great results with M&M kits, that I thought that should be my next step. I will do the kit, but is there any way to get my hands on the driedelder flowers to add to the must?
smiley19.gif

I may have to try one of these kits. I never have and never knew of any other kits that included these. I think it will have to be my next kit! Glad we had this conversation. I love learning.

I am thinking along different lines here NewKid. A lot of Germanic style wines have a very flowery, citrusy aspect to them. That is imparted upon them by use of grapes grown in colder climates. The acids are higher and the flowery esters are more dominant. In order to achieve the results of the elderflowers in the cheap kit, maybe WE had to use the elderflowers since the concentration process blows off many of the flowery esters. When you got the more expensive one, the manufacturer may feel the flowery notes are still present in the juice so there is no need to add them. It like some wines have ovrtones of black currants. This can come from well ripened jammy grapes or can be gained through the use of fresh black currants.

I have a number of wines going from grapes here this year that are very high in florally, citrusy notes. The LaCrescent is so strong that if you take the airlock off it, you can smell it in the winery over all the other fermentation smells present.

Before you worry too much about the EF packet being missing, stick your nose down there and inhale deeply over the bucket of must.

Thanks Appleman, I will do just that. BUt the elderflower additive was only about $4, so I ordered one just in case. Piesporter is one of my favorite of the German Whites, so I am really particular, maybe a little OCD about it! BUt I will take your advice and that of the others on this blog, be patient, tuke it slow and use some common sense to push for a great result.

New Kid, I made the MM VN Piesporter last March. Never had a Piesporter before and it is fabulous!!! A wonderful light white summer wine. I am definitely making this kit again!!
You will not be dissappointed!!
smiley4.gif

New Kid, ALLJUICE is just a product name, not a description. ALLJUICE is also concentrate and juice, as well as water to bring the volume to 23L. All kits need concentrate to stabilize and preserve them. If they didn't have it, they would all have to be frozen to prevent fermentation.

Alright then if you have the Vinifera Noble kit, it is concentrated like Dean says and not a more expensive kit like I thought you had said. Try some as it is in progress and if you can't smell the elders, add your pack if you haven't already.

Latest posts

Back