Pickle Smell (taste fine) - Kegged

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whynot

Wine & Scotch
Reaction score
I have some lemon/lime sp, I kegged a while ago, force carbed it, it's been fine, but now it has a smell I can only describe as "pickles".. it tastes fine, just as it did when I first made it, the smell came over time.

Anyone know what this could be? I did add too much sorbate, so I'm thinking over time that combined with the carbonation and keg could have created it? I'm really only concerned if it's safe to drink?

Thanks!

what was in the keg before you used it, or any of the other buckets you may have used. you might have picked up smell from residual in used containers.

bought the legged used, cleaned and sanitized prior..i'll have to be sure to clean it again before kegging the next batch JIC

it came to me after I posted above that the pickle smell you described could be vinegar. if so then sanitizing is the problem or insufficient so2 when required.

yeah I was thinking that too... I was wondering if because it's in the keg, it got too much exposure to oxygen as it sits.. .even though forced carbed..

Back