pickel bucket ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twintrades

Reaction score
Any one ever use a picle bucket for making wine in ? Do you think i could get the smell out ? I could get a few from the fast food places around here. But i dont want to unless i know i could use them.

Any one ever use a picle bucket for making wine in ? Do you think i could get the smell out ? I could get a few from the fast food places around here. But i dont want to unless i know i could use them.

i don't know about using them for making wine in necessarily, but using them for cleaning and sanitizing in for sure.....

I would not recomend using them, If there are any traces of vinegar left in the bucket it could turn your whole batch into vinegar. Same as introducing 'mother'.

I would not recomend using them, If there are any traces of vinegar left in the bucket it could turn your whole batch into vinegar. Same as introducing 'mother'.

that's kinda what i meant.....wouldn't reccommend them for use as fermenters, but cleaning and sanitizing would be fine....especially after they had been scrubbed really good....i do have 1 that i use as an equipment cleaning bucket...

You will never get the smell or bad bacteria completely out. The bacteria can turn your wine to vinegar very quickly.

Got to most any store, which has its own bakery, and they will give you as many nice food grade buckets and lids as you can carry. I get mine at Wal-Mart and Target. They have had nothing in them but cake dough or cake icing, so they are easy to clean. They come in 1, 2, and 3 gallon sizes.

Home Depot sales 5 gallon paint buckets that are food grade and very safe for wine making. They also sell the larger Brut trash cans that are food grade. Just look for the little triangle symbol that tells you if it is food grade.

I'm good to go. Thanks walmart now I have 2 and 5 gallon buckets with sealable lids ! Sweet

You will never get the smell or bad bacteria completely out. The bacteria can turn your wine to vinegar very quickly.

Got to most any store, which has its own bakery, and they will give you as many nice food grade buckets and lids as you can carry. I get mine at Wal-Mart and Target. They have had nothing in them but cake dough or cake icing, so they are easy to clean. They come in 1, 2, and 3 gallon sizes.

Home Depot sales 5 gallon paint buckets that are food grade and very safe for wine making. They also sell the larger Brut trash cans that are food grade. Just look for the little triangle symbol that tells you if it is food grade.

I read this thread and went to my local bakery today, indeed they did give me as many 4.5gal icing buckets as i could carry as u say, but after getting them home and cleaning them i realized on the bottom it was not hdpe (high density polyethylene) 2 but it was pp (polypropylene) 5.

From my understanding i want buckets that are hdpe 2 is this not correct?

Am i good to use the pp 5 buckets as my primary? the 4.5gal would be great for the 3gal batch im about to make.

ref source im also using http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

HDPE (high density polyethylene) is used in milk, juice and water containers in order to take advantage of its excellent protective barrier properties. Its chemical resistance properties also make it well suited for items such as containers for household chemicals and detergents. Most five gallon food buckets are made from HDPE.
Examples: Milk bottles, shopping bags

PP (polypropylene) has high tensile strength, making it ideal for use in caps and lids that have to hold tightly on to threaded openings. Because of its high melting point, polypropylene can be hot-filled with products designed to cool in bottles, including ketchup and syrup. It is also used for products that need to be incubated, such as yogurt. Many Cambo, Tupperware and Rubbermaid food storage containers are made from PP.
Examples: Bottle caps, take-out food containers, drinking straws

Before I joined this forum, I tried using milk gallons to make small batches of wine.

Turned out awful and undrinkable.

My father works at a grocery store and was able to get me a couple of 2.5 gal icing tubs. Haven't used them yet, but from what I understand these are the hdpe type of plastic you are referring to. Perhaps the buckets you got from your baker are from a different manufacturer.

I read this thread and went to my local bakery today, indeed they did give me as many 4.5gal icing buckets as i could carry as u say, but after getting them home and cleaning them i realized on the bottom it was not hdpe (high density polyethylene) 2 but it was pp (polypropylene) 5.

From my understanding i want buckets that are hdpe 2 is this not correct?

Am i good to use the pp 5 buckets as my primary? the 4.5gal would be great for the 3gal batch im about to make.

ref source im also using http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

HDPE (high density polyethylene) is used in milk, juice and water containers in order to take advantage of its excellent protective barrier properties. Its chemical resistance properties also make it well suited for items such as containers for household chemicals and detergents. Most five gallon food buckets are made from HDPE.
Examples: Milk bottles, shopping bags

PP (polypropylene) has high tensile strength, making it ideal for use in caps and lids that have to hold tightly on to threaded openings. Because of its high melting point, polypropylene can be hot-filled with products designed to cool in bottles, including ketchup and syrup. It is also used for products that need to be incubated, such as yogurt. Many Cambo, Tupperware and Rubbermaid food storage containers are made from PP.
Examples: Bottle caps, take-out food containers, drinking straws

Off topic, but the virtual weber bullet site in that link is great. Been a member there a few years. :)

Before I joined this forum, I tried using milk gallons to make small batches of wine.

My father works at a grocery store and was able to get me a couple of 2.5 gal icing tubs. Haven't used them yet, but from what I understand these are the hdpe type of plastic you are referring to. Perhaps the buckets you got from your baker are from a different manufacturer.

Ya that would be my guess, but does anyone know is PP 5 is alright to use as a primary?

Most plastics are food grade within certain parameters, it all depends on what their intended purpose was during manufacturing, you can almost find food grade buckets in everything from PP, HDPE, PVC, LDPE, PS, PET(better bottles) in same cases recycled plastics will even make it back into the food grade category after being cleared by FDA regulations.

However like robie stated depending of what was in their before will influence your product. Pickle smell is especially one thing I could imagine lingering around even after cleaning so I would stay away from using something like that.

So I would say if it is FOOD GRADE PP then you should be good to go.

2 other things to ponder are that scratches will harbor bacteria that you just simply cant get into to clean fully and that can ruin a wine pretty quickly from what im told. While both PP and HDPE are pretty close to each other in scratch resistance and marring I don't see it making much of a difference unless your scrubbing away hard while cleaning.

And HDPE is less permeable to oxygen and CO2, this may be a non factor since I don't think anyone is bulk aging their wine in there plastic fermenters.

My sources are I paid way too much to get a Materials Engineering degree!! rather be:fsh

Note: I replied prior to reading the thread, just for fun.

Any one ever use a picle bucket for making wine in ?

Yes

Do you think i could get the smell out ?

Yes. Wash thoroughly with Dawn dishwashing soap and let the bucket sit open for 2 weeks.

I could get a few from the fast food places around here. But i dont want to unless i know i could use them.

Yes, you can use them. Mine even retained some of the pickle smell after being aired out, and my wine will still turned out fine. I could smell pickle in them slightly for a few batches. Shrug.

Your mileage may vary.

mILK JUGS ARE #2 hdpe same as buckets and food grade for sure.

Maybe the recipe I used was for poison instead of wine, then ;)
Friend comes over "Hey ya wanna try my wine?? Not too sure which recipe I used." Friend either keels over or says "Man, thats good stuff. Howdja make it?? " LOL, Arne.

Latest posts

Back