pH and Acidity in a "Cherry Cyser"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catawampus

Reaction score
I have a question concerning my pH and Acidity in what I suppose could be called a cherry cyser. The background is that I was targeting a deep red country wine that would be fairly sweet on the finish (think port-like in terms of sweetness).

The recipe:
1.5 gallons Red Jacket Orchards Cherry Stomp (cherry and apple juice)
4.85 lbs Orange Blossum Honey
4.5 oz Buckwheat Honey

-No dilution.
-2 Campden Tablets.
-Used White Labs Sweet Mead and Cider (WLP720).
-Staggered nutrients.

I transferred to secondary today (at S.G. 1.028, which is where I wanted to be given yeast and O.G. of 1.114).

Now, finally to the question. My pH sits at 3.56 and my T.A. is 0.7% (measured with pH meter).

Would you add any acidity if you were me? If so, acid blend? Will the wine/cyser/mead hold up with this pH if I store it for a few years? Just looking for some guidance. I'm open to opinions on sulfites as well, if you think its warranted.

Thanks folks. I'm learning a ton on here.

I would say you are pretty near perfect. It will depend on how much you want to sweeten it in the end. I would wait until you are closer to sweetening and bottling. If it tastes a little flat then, you could always add a bit of acid.

Hi Greg,

Thanks so much for chiming in. I actually don't expect this wine to ferment a ton further. I chose that yeast because it is supposed to attenuate less than other strains, which I wanted given the goal for this wine. Its rated for <75% and it is about 73-74% now. It may drop a little, but, I think this is mostly about waiting for it to clear--not much has happened in the last 3 days or so.

I will gladly take the advice, and just go on my palate for the acid...assuming my pH is still in the right vicinity at bottling. Would you add any more sulfites, or just let it ride?

Yes you will need to add more sulfites as it ages. What you added before fermentation will be all bound up. If I am not measuring for so2 levels I usually adopt a schedule of adding 0.4g per gallon, about 1 campden tablet, every other racking. After primary I will transfer to carboy and let it finish completely dry and settle for about a month. Then rack and start sulfite schedule.

With a PH of 3.56 you'll need 45 to 50 PPM of free SO2 for protection.

Latest posts

Back