Petite Syrah Acid Monster

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebronze

Reaction score
Hi all I have a PS that has a pH of 3.7 and a TA of 1.0. It tastes sour from all the acid yet I cant add anything since the pH is so high. Advice?

I concur. With these numbers, your pH is high because you have significant potassium levels buffering the acid strength. Cold stabilization will drop both acid and potassium.

Thanks y'all. Ive got it stabilizing in the garage and a huge amount of what I assume is tartaric acid crystals are already on the bottom. Will report back in a few weeks. I put some powdered tartaric acid on top to seed it as well.

Want to try re testing your TA? I would think that your PH would be lower with a TA that high.. What does your brix look like?

Thanks y'all. Ive got it stabilizing in the garage and a huge amount of what I assume is tartaric acid crystals are already on the bottom. Will report back in a few weeks. I put some powdered tartaric acid on top to seed it as well.

No, don't add tartaric acid! You want to add potassium bitartrate (cream of tartar) to seed. That is what precipitates out.

Back