Pee not clearing, pectic haze?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdriver84

Reaction score
I've been having trouble getting my skeeter pee to clear. I started it before Christmas with RealLemon. Didn't clear after the addition of Sparkolloid, beginning of Feb I figured I'd give it another shot of Sparkolloid. I'm not sure if that was a wiser decision or not, but it didn't seem to do anything. Is this a pectic haze? Something else? It still has the murky look of an actual lemon aid. Suggestions?

Did you degassing the skeeter pee? I had 3 gallons once that took forever to clear until I degassed it.

Yup, degassed it as best that I could with my handpump. Pumped on the old bastard for hours, lol.

Try adding the pectic enzyme. I've had 2 batches that would only clear after the addition of pectic enzyme. All the problem batches were started with a fruit wine slurry, so I don't know if the pectin problem originated in the lemon juice or was brought over by the slurry.

I just started my yeast and sprinkled it in, everything seemed to ferment according to plan, but it just will not clear. I guess I'll go ahead and add the pectic enzyme, and see how that pans out for me. Should I just let it settle after the enzyme is added, or should I go ahead and do another shot with the Sparkolloid do you guys think?

Last edited:
Late additions of pectic enzyme can take a couple of weeks to be effective, so I'd put it in and let it sit for almost a month if needed. See if it clears on its own.

Latest posts

Back