Pectic Enzyme

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as shelf life for Pectic, the liquid has a far shorter life than powdered form.. I stick to the powder.

Ok, while you were all racking your brains on Pectic Enzyme,

I have a question, I have read it's good for:

"Pectic Enzyme to crushed fruit to increase the extraction of body and color from the pulp during the primary fermentation and during pressing"

Ok well and fine if I was using " real fruit and not cheapo concentrates " ( which I enjoy by the way )
smiley36.gif

Then I read,

" Destroys haze-causing pectin cells that can leave a wine with a permanent milky appearance known as a "pectin haze". "

Now really, If I am using processed / frozen dollar something store bought stuff that is probally so steamed and heated prior to bottling before freezing, is it even possible for this cell to be intact let alone a concern ?

I'm only asking this because . yes I am still using and brewing cheapo wines, which taste great to me and others, but I would one day like to move up the food chain of grapes and such and be firmiluar with the additives and their purposes.

Is this something I hould be using now ? would it benifit in any fashion ? would it hurt anything and if not, maybe I should be using it just to get into the " routine " of it all ?

Thanx all

Kyle

I would use it on any wine that is not a kit as there must be some kind of pectins even in a frozen concentrate.

Latest posts

Back