Pectic Enzyme Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoeCat

Junior
Reaction score
I have some Paw Paw wine that I have been trying to clear since summer. I used Bentonite with no success. I think it has a pectin haze going on. My question is will pectic enzyme help it at this point or does it have to be put in at the beginning of fermentation? Thanks for any input.

Pectic enzyme can be added now. If that doesn't work, try using superklear.

Oh, thank you. I have both just wasn't sure which to try first. I'll give it a try.

As a side note on the paw paw----after you get it to clear and have it bottled, you might want to save some bottles to age for about 3 years. Paw paw has some astrigency to it when it's young, but that totally disappears when it's well aged. It's really fabulous in that 3rd year. We didn't find that out until we opened the last bottle. Next time we have a free carboy at that time of year, we want to do a bigger batch of it and just put it away to age.

Thanks for all of the information. I put the pectic enzyme in yesterday, and this morning it is crystal clear. It looks really good. I will be sure to stash some away for a few years. Thanks again!

Liquid P E lasts up to a year if refridgerated. Dy keep dry.

P E does not work in an active fermentation but will in the beginning until the yeast gets going.

Add P E and wait 12-24 hours before the addition of yeast and add P E 12-24 hours after sulfite addition if any.

Thanks for all of the tips from all of you! The fermentation was complete awhile ago, but the wine was very cloudy. The P E worked great. It is crystal clear. Should PE be added to all real fruit wines as a precaution before adding yeast?

Thanks for all of the tips from all of you! The fermentation was complete awhile ago, but the wine was very cloudy. The P E worked great. It is crystal clear. Should PE be added to all real fruit wines as a precaution before adding yeast?

YES !!!!

Pectic enzyme not only helps preventing hazes, but it also makes sure that as much juice as is possible is released from the fruit.

Luc

Latest posts

Back