Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkutch

Reaction score
I looked at a bunch of past posts about Pear wine and was curious what some of your favorite recipes are for Pears? I am able to get as many pears for free from my neighbor from one tree. Nothing wrong with them, he just doesn't have time to get them. I have never done a pear but other fruits. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

2/04/10Pear Wine6 gallon

6 gallonPear juice(Steam juiced)
8 lbsSugartoSGof1.080
2 qtsWater
4 tspascorbic acid
9 Bananas
6 tspPectic enzyme
8 tspAcid blend
8 tspFermax (yeast nutrient & energizer)
7 tsp Wine Tannin
1 pkg D – 47wine yeast

Slice bananas and simmer in 2 qts water, strain and add to primary bucket. Add all ingredients except yeast. Wait 12 hrs , make a yeast starter and add to must.

My pear wine is still bulk aging, but I backsweetened a half a glass the other day and I think it's going to be really good

BOB

If you are lucky enough to have a mill near you that makes pear cider, that can save a lot of time - and apple/pear ciders in general are really well-balanced to begin with, since they usually mix varieties when they make it. Otherwise I think that (as in Bob's recipe above) steam juicing is the best way to go.

I made 12 gallons Pear last year. It'e better this year.
Bob, I also steam and I heard that you need to bump up ( 1 1/2 to 2X) the pectic on Steamed juice. This what I do. Not to worry as the extra pectic will drop out and not affect the wine.

Oh yea You need to add a F-Pac and backsweeten like Bob.

I did not add any extra pectic enzyme to my batch and had no problems. Maybe I got lucky. Thanks Tepe for the info . It stands to reason that if you are using concentrated juice that you might need to up the amount of pectic enzyme that you use.

I made my wine using all juice and don't think that I will need an F-pack.

BOB

You will need a F-PAC.
You will get better body w/ all juice.

I think pear wine is s a very hard wine to exact the flavor of the fruit from,to much fermentation to dry,to little fermentation not enough wine flavor,either way fpacs are needed, try a concentrate ..frozen..I'am referring to,they have real flavor and the sweeness already added, and always use your taste buds to guide you allong,think out of the conventional wine box on this one,if you'll take notice there's not many pear wines out there for the reasons I noted above,brandys,cellos and liquicors,and the flavored vokas ..........see

Loeswine,
I guess I need to bring a pear wine next meeting.

Pear wines are great!!! IMO

I made 2 different ones last year, I am very happy with them so far. I did a f-pack and back sweetened just a little bit. I also added a very small touch of light toast oak.

I made a batch a few years ago. It didnt have lots of Pear flavor and to me tasted more like a Chablis to me which was very nice. I actually used many many cans of pears in heavy syrup that I bought at a Can Can sale fro Shop Rite.

I am not familiar with this store. Is this just your basic grocery store that sells pear halves in syrup?

It is just a basic grocery store but it is well known around here for having unbelievable sales on canned goods. I think I bought 33 cans of the Del Monte or Dole brand cans for that batch at like $.25 a can.

Thats good to know; I thought the steam would set the pear pectins almost irreversibly, though some yeast/pectase probably attacks it better than others.I made a plum/apple wine a while back, and for a couple months, that was a soupy mess. But it settled out great; I encourage a little extra fermentation at the first rack, and it cleared up wonderfully. Nice color extraction from the plum skins.

(YA) wade touchy type of wine to make and make correctly,but it's all in the individual tasters ,taste buds ,don't you think mostly?
smiley2.gif

As a Pear wine I wasnt happy but it surely was a very good wine, just not what what I truly wanted out of it. when i tasted it I was thinking of doing the fpac and then decided against it and leave it as it was as it was very refreshing. I will make another Pear wine but like triple the amount of Pear and fresh fruit this time.

I don't have the recipe by my side cuz I'm at the library cuz my computer took a dump! but my pear wine was awsum! and I didn't use bananas but I'm gonna try some bananas with this batch I think I just started it yesterday. I had 20# of pears frozen in my freezer but I screwed up and added all the sugar at the beginning which made for a rediculous sg! But going to take it as far as it will go anyway. Will see how the yeast acts. But I bet this is gonna be on the sweeter side=headache! lol I did however get enough grapes from my old grapevines to make a gal of wine gonna try that, and got a big watermelon from a friend of mine gonna try making some watermelon wine. my new vines are doing crappy exceptone it's overgrown the wooden rod I had put side it

ok gotta get off here I miss you all!

Be very careful with the watermelon and make a good starter because watermelon goes south very fast!

Latest posts

Back