PEACH WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Ok...
Ever since she tasted the Raspberry wine, Marcy's been getting more into this hobby of mine.
She came home from the grocery store yesterday and sugested a peach wins since she saw numerous cans of peaches on sale there.

Guess that's the next wine.

Stay tuned folks.... It's commin!

Well, I started the Peach Saturday.

It's going to be an experiment using store bought Yellow Cling Peaches instead of fresh peaches.
I figure if it doesn't work out all I'm out is the $15.00 in peaches and some wine cookin stuff.

I used the three big cans to get the full 16lbs of peaches less the syrup but added the syrup at the last minute since it tastes of the peaches as well.
Figure that in when you read the below recipe.

6-gallon recipe <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Original Gravity should be 1.085 -1.090
Acid Balance .55 - .60%
Yields 6 x 1 gallon jugs or 30 each 750ml bottles

<UL style="MARGIN-TOP: 0in" =disc>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">16 lbs. peaches (about 60 peaches)</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">5gal. Water</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Enough sugar to make the SG = 1.100 (about 2 lb)</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">6 campden tablets, crushed</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">7 tsp. acid blend</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">4 tsp. pectic enzyme powder</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">1.5 tsp. yeast energizer</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">4 tsp. Tannin</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">1 pkg. wine yeast (RED STAR Cuvee)</LI>[/list]

03 May 2008 at 12:00pm:
I started the must today. Added all the ingredients as the instructions called for and poured three 100 oz. (6lbs 10oz) cans of DEL MONTE Yellow Cling Sliced Peaches in Light Syrup into the straining sock, which sank to the bottom. Added the 7 cans of water and after adding the sugar to 1.090sg (like 7lbs), It was 2” from the top of the bucket (indicating 7 gallons).

05 May 2008 at 06:00pm:
The must is happily bubbling away today. Smells great with a definite peach aroma though not thick and full yet. That’s really to be expected though since the sugar alone will keep the yeast happy. We’ll see what happens as the must develops further toward the 1.030 where I’ll remove the fruit sock.

I'll keep you informed on progress.

Peach is my next planned wine.. so I'll be watching your progress. Hope it turns out great.

Handyman,

Be prepared for a long fining period. Every time I've donea peach using canned peaches, it seemed to take forever to clear, even with filtering.

hanks for that insight BJ. I'm a patient man though so I don't see that as a problem.
Hope it's the worst one too..

It's finally developed a strong, full peach aroma.
I'll be removing the fruit sack tonight I think.

I don't know about canned peaches but fresh peach wine bears a strong resemblance to jet fuel for the first 10 months. Then it starts to smooth out and actually taste like peaches by 11 months. Don't be disappointed, Handyman and Handywoman if it doesn't taste drinkable. It will come around eventually.

bj4271 said:
Handyman,

Be prepared for a long fining period. Every time I've done a peach using canned peaches, it seemed to take forever to clear, even with filtering.

That makes sense. I started my first Peach wine a few weeks ago and added Super-Kleer to it just this last Friday. I also had a batch of elderberry going and added S-K to that the same day. Guess what, the elderberry is clear as a bell but the peach is still very very hazy (can't see through the carboy yet). It's only been 2 days though. I'll give it a few more days before getting worried. These were both done using VH fruit bases.

Here's the peach recipe I whipped up for 5 gallons:

1 can VH Peach base
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />2 - 64oz jugs Welch's White Grape/Peach juice
2 - 12oz cans Welch's White Grape Concentrate
1 - 29oz can sliced peaches (dumped in the syrup too)
Acid blend to .60 Tartaric
3 tsp yeast nutrient
3 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 tsp wine tannin
Sugar to S.G. 1.082
Lalvin ICV-D47 wine yeast
H2O to 5 gallons.

I did not add sorbate or K-meta when I added the SuperKleer. I plan on setting aside a couple of gallons to try out NW'ssparkling wine tutorial. I recently did this with 2 gallons of pineapple and it seems to be going smoothly (I start "riddling" around the last week of June) I have another 10 bottles I can use so I'm going to try some peach too. After the peach finally clears I'll separate it into 2 and 3 gallon batches. The 3 will get K-meta and sorbate and the other two are going to be turned into sparkly.

Keep us posted on yours Handyman. I want to compare notes when we're done.

Here's a label idea I am toying with. Couldn't figure out how to post it, so I printed one out and took a pic:

DSCF0498640x480.jpg

I love it!!! The eyes took me a bit to figure out but that is as clever as can be! Are you going to use just the shape of the peach? Now THAT would be really wonderful!

Bravo!

11 May 2008 at 05:36pm<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Spec Grav is at 1.025sg so I pulled the fruit sock today, squeezed it out and discarded the peaches. I then racked from my primary to my carboy and removed most of the lees in the process. There’s some heavy material in the must that’s making it thick but I’m sure it’ll grav out over time. I’ve now air locked it and put it into the closet room to sit for 2 to 4 weeks and a rack.

12 May 2008 at 06:36am
A quick peek at the peach proves me right. It’s only half as thick today as it was yesterday.

14 May 2008 at 06:36am (about 2 weeks?)<?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
Another quick peek at the peach today. It’s moving along fine. The bottom sediment at the rim of the carboy is now veryclear and maybe 1/8" thick already. As more mattersettles slowlyout of the must it will clear more but I'm a patient man here. I have 7 months minimum cellaring so what's a couple months in the carboy, naturally settleing out thematter meanto me, huh.

<O:p>Joan:

You're right. It does bear a strong resembelance to jet fuel. However, I assume that at the proper time, back sweetening from 0.0sg to 1.010 (my particular sweetness taste)and proper degassing will clear up that problem.

I'm really sorry you guys had all those problems with your results. After following the directions and keeping everything as clean as I can, mine seems to be comming along just fine.

Maybe you'll have better luck on your next try?</O:p>

25May 2008 at 06:50pm

20080526_061950_Peach_2008-05-2.jpg
I racked the must again today. There's a surprisingly large amount of dust setteling out for such a short period of time.

20080526_064435_Peach_2008-05-2.jpg

There might be all of 1/4" formed up the side and across the bottom.

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Not a bad result for being patient and once again, allowing nature to fine out my wine.
To date, unless I'm planning to go immedietly to bottle, I've seen no good or acceptable reason to use any type of fining agents.

Aroma is peach and reassuringly strong,but as far as taste is concerned, I still have to wait out another 2 weeks or so and then I'll rack again and backsweeten to taste. That will be thedefining moment.
Then I'llallow it another month or two maybe,before racking a final time andbotteling.

I highly recomend the peach at this point for ease of creation and results. Though it started out as a canned cling, it's progressing fine.

This is my peach wine at 88 days and today, I backsweetened it to 1.016 primarilly because I didn't get the peach flavor I thought I should be getting till I got there.

This goes to show again folks, you backsweeten to your taste, not sombody elses taste.Otherwise you'll not be happy with your results.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
20080731_064112_Peach_2008-07-2.jpg
As you can see, clarity is comming along better. It's still not as clear as the apricott but the apricott was 147 days when I last racked her.
Duston the bottom amounted to "fine" in quantity. What this last rack accomplished mostly, was to remove the small amount of larger, peach pulp that still remained floating on the topof the carboy.

Anyway, It's still very youngand now resting again comfortably in my basement under the air bungwith the Apricott, the Blackberry and the Raspberry wine I made last year.
I'll pull it again in another month, rack it and if I'm happy with the clarity, bottle it.

Ok...
It's been 4.4 months now and peach is definatly the longest, fining wine I've ever made.
In a glas it looks good. Almost real good but in the carboy, it's still opaque.

Added the egg yoke last weekend so I'll wait a couple weeks and see what happens.

Did I mention patience???

Handyman

Crum... Wrong post.

Hmmmm..... Maybe i shouldn't have had that last glass of wine.

The apricott is absolutly wonderful.

It cleard just fine on its own and I bottled it in one gallon bottles about a month ago.

I'm very pleased with this wine.

[I'm laughing too hard to write]

Yea.. Way too much wine.
Egg whites. You'd think the color alone would have helped huh.

Handyman

Latest posts

Back