peach wine help/suggestions please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cknfrmr

Junior
Reaction score
I am making a peach wine. I have used a recipe for a gallon batch and multiplyed it times 4 to try and get enough for a 3 gallon carboy by the time I squeeze all the must out the nylon bag.. But I put a couple extra lbs of peaches in it to give it a more peachy flavor. The problem is now it is way to thick to get a acurate hyro. reading in my opion. ( which I could be wrong in my thinking. ) Its thick like chili. Should I just add another gallon of water and add the measurements of a gallon of all the other stuff also the sugar, tannin, pectic, etc. to thin it out? Thanks for any suggetions in advance.

Here is receipe as of now:
13 lbs.peaches
7 lbs. sugar
6 teaspoons acid blend
2 teaspoons petic
1 teaspoon tannin
3 cans welches white grape/peach

get a stainless steel strainer, sanitize that and place in on top of your must, push down slightly and you should be able to get enough liquid to take a reading and any testing you need to do.

ok I have run through strainer, still thick, run that through coffee filter which took for ever. Still thick like syrup. Wont even read on hydrometer. The hydrometer wont sink down far enough to even give me a reading. Spun it to get air bubbles off it and made sure was not touching sides. Think gonna have to add water or something to thin it out.

Also should I go ahead and add the Pectic Enzyme & Yeast? Going on about 24 hrs. since i started this batch.

Thanks Julie for strainer tip. Did not even enter my mind to do that.

Last edited:
ok I have run through strainer, still thick, run that through coffee filter which took for ever. Still thick like syrup. Wont even read on hydrometer. The hydrometer wont sink down far enough to even give me a reading. Spun it to get air bubbles off it and made sure was not touching sides. Think gonna have to add water or something to thin it out.

Also should I go and add the Pectic Enzyme & Yeast? Going on about 24 hrs since I started this batch.

Thanks Julie for strainer tip. Did not even enter my mind to do that.

definitely add the pectic enzyme and wait 24 hours before adding yeast. Sounds like you need to add water, just add a little at a time.

Latest posts

Back