Peach Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcasey

Reaction score
Time to clean out the pantry again and while looking around I discovered a can of Oregon Peach, Dark Muscavado Sugar, Cinnamon Sticks and some extra Orange Blossom Honey. I decided they needed to be made into something and since my son's been asking for some peach cobbler I thought a mead style twist would be interesting. So I mixed it all together with some 71B and the usual suspects and now we wait and see.

20100701_131954_DSCN5805_Deskto.JPG

This is before I gave it a stir this morning. Tastes like - Peach Cobbler.
Hope everyone has a nice 4th. We're just going to enjoy the rain Alex has kindly tossed our way.

20100702_074052_DSCN5808_Deskto.JPG

I love that your son asks for peach cobbler and you make mead. This makes sense to me.
smiley20.gif
smiley36.gif

He thought it was pretty funny as well. However he does know how to cook, he makes an outstanding peach cobbler and we have the supplies, so if he really wants peach cobbler..........

Let's see for 1 gallon
1 can of Oregon Peach Puree (less 10 oz that will go in the secondary), 1 cup of frozen peach slices, 6 oz of Dark Muscavado Sugar, 4 Cinnamon Sticks (2 in the primary and 2 in the secondary), Orange Blossom Honey to 1092, a package of 71B, P/E, Y/N, & Acid Blend. I may add more cinnamon and Dark Muscavado Sugar to get the taste I want, but I'll wait and see.
Right now the fermentation is going well and I hope the peach flavor will continue to come through but I saved the extra as insurance and I may use more sugar as well.

This dropped very quickly and the SG has at 1 for a couple of days so time to stabilize, sorbate, rack and let it sit for a bit. Will need more cinnamon and I'll use some left over peach (the extra 10 oz I put aside) after that I'll need to see how close this comes to peach cobbler. Hubby says it looks like mud!

20100707_110301_DSCN5817_Deskto.JPG

Really don't know how long I'll wait. I fermented it to dry in the bucket and left most of the lees behind when I racked it a few days ago. The sediment that you see now is very loose and not very compact. My game plan is to wait a bit and see because I believe this will compact if given some time.

how is this going? found this post just doing some surfing and it looks interesting!

So far so good. I racked it this past weekend & glad I made extra since it really drops sediment. Once its clear I'll start adding the spices.

Not sure whats wrong vcasey but for some reason I cannot see the picture you posted of how it looks now...you did post one didn't you
smiley4.gif

I just knew you would call me on the pics Waldo! None were taken -
sorry, just a crazy weekend and now its behind a bunch of stuff. I'll
try and remember next time.

Will this do until I play with this mead again?

20100914_115706_DSCN5902_Deskto.JPG

Ooops, butterscotch not my favorite! Now why did you go and ruin a good drool fest?

Back