Oxidation, also Carboy cleaning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leelanau

Reaction score
Quick questions:
1. I have read about oxidation concerns at bottling on the forum but I have not seen any mention of the drilled whole in the lid of the primary. I bottled last week and sealed the lid tight on the primary and left the drilled whole open so that pressure would not build inside (like a gas can). I had the airlock in first but that caused back pressure on the spigot. I would think the limited amount of oxygen exposure wouldn't affect the wine flavor or shelf life that much. I bottled and corked one at a time. If we were a commercial winery, exposure to air would be of more of a concern, correct? I am correct that oxidation at bottling only affects shelf life and wine flavor/aroma?
2. Has anybody discussed carboys and the "scent" or "flavor" of wine left behind from the previous batch "trasfering" to the next batch? In addition, what about thoughts on having a primary and a carboy for reds and whites, keeping them separate? Necessary? I notice a scent of my wine in the carboy still, though cleaned (not sanitized). Should I put in some cleaner and put the airlock in for a few days to remove the old wine scent?
As always, multiple answers and thoughts appreciated. Leelanau

I picked up a couple of great food grade pails with lids at the local grocery store (free!!) used for pie fillings and stuff. One has a scratch in it so I will use that one for storage. The other had a distinct odor of Bavarian Cream! =) I cleaned it really well with a capful of bleach in a gallon of hot water, rinsed it within an inch of it's life, and now it has no smell at all. I think it will make a great primary for small batches.

I think if you clean your primary as soon and you rack, you will be fine no matter what was in it.

While I've detected a scent in glass carboys right after rinsing outwine residue,I've NOT detected any scent after cleaning (I use Straight A) inside and out. I usually then put in a half gallon of sanitizer -- sodium or potassium metabisulfite -- and stopper the carboy after shaking to coat the inside. I leave it for a minimum of several hours and the ONLY scent after that is sanitizer!

Others may disagree, but I think with glass you won't have a problem if you clean, then sanitize properly -- and definitely do not have to use separate glass carboys for different wines.

George has a great article on cleaning/sanitizing in the resources area as well, if you've not seen it.

OilnH20 - Your suggestion sounds similar to what I was thinking, sanitizer and shake, then place airlock on for a few hours. I'll try that. Will also check out article in the resources section to see if any new info. Leelanau

Latest posts

Back