over heated

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSmith3011

Reaction score
I use a fermenting closet for my wines it typically holds the temp at 80*. This morning my little heat source was not working well. I decided to try my back up heat source. When I returned home six hours later my closet was way over heated. The carboy closest to the heater was 105*, another was 95*. Both of these were in violent fermentation only a couple days ago. How concerned should I be? Have I just made Port or could it possibly be salvaged?

I am not 100% sure - but i don't think high abv is the issue here.

if the fermentation temperature is too high, especially during the initial phases of fermentation (i.e. until the wine reaches a gravity of about 1010) various off flavors and nasty enzymes can be produced by the yeast. Volatile flavor compounds can also be driven off by the vigorous fermentation cause by the high temperature. Compounds which we might like to leave in the bottle!

I would say the 95 should be ok, the 105 might have possibly kiled the yeast if the actualwine temp was that high, are thedse temps recorded from the wine or the room? If it didnt kill the yeast it might have porduced some off flavors but this is all here say and possibles. taste it yourself, probably fine as long as the yeast is still living.

Thanks for the optimism Wade. The air temp was 110* I killed the heater and then checked the actual wine temp, 105* & 95*. I am bringing the temp back down tonight and will taste tomorrow. I think the only saving grace is the fact they just came out of the Primary. All I can do is check SG and see what happens over the next few weeks.
If the SG is too high and doesnt move, should I add new yeast to restart a ferment?

Yes, you might have to make a yeast starter also as there is now alc present which could shock the yeast.

I tasted the overheated wine tonight. For being in secondary fermentation I did not taste anything unusual. I may have caught a break. My heating system now has new redundancy built in so this will never happen again.

Back