Oregon Queen Anne Cherry Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfmiller

Reaction score
Store has a bunch of smaller 15oz cans of Oregon brand Queen Anne Cherries in heavy syrup on clearance. Would like to make a one gallon fruit wine (my first fruit wine!) Would this variety be suitable? Anyone got a recipe to use?

Thanks,
Charles

Hi Charles,

You need to look to see what the ingredients are first. If sorbate is listed you won't be able to make wine with it.

Julie, thanks for the response. I checked the label, and it's only cherries, sugar, and water. I bought six cans. Now what, lol?

well it sounds like you are ready for an experiment.

Use 4 of the 15 oz cans, water to bring it to 1 gallon and enough sugar to have an sg around 1.080. Add some yeast nutrient and if you have any energizer add that as well. I would test acid and add acid blend to bring between .55% and .65%

and once fermented to dry, stablize and add another can to backsweeten.

Julie is right on the spot. The only thing I mite do different is if my primary is big enough, would throw another can in and add enough water to make it a gal. and a quarter. That way you will have a little left to top off with when racking or maybe tasting. Arne.

Well, that sounds simple enough. Thanks for your help folks, and I will keep you informed.

Well, it's in the primary. I found a recipe book that had a bit more detail that what was provided (sorry, I am recipe guy...give me detailed directions and I will make anything, but don't do well improvising). Had some adventures reading the hyrdometer (yet another reason to do this...I need to learn to how to use one).

Recipe said to leave it in the primary for 24hr before adding yeast, so will do that tomorrow.

I am out around $10 if this goes south, so this will at minimum be a useful experience!

Thanks!

This wine is bubbling away. It looks pretty disgusting, but that's to be expected at this point. Been leaving the lid on tight under airlock since I am cat sitting and am afraid one might knock the lid off, but am stirring vigorously once a day.

Latest posts

Back