OptiVac Vaccume by Allied ??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaineGal

Reaction score
I found a suction/vacuum machine on CL for $75.00. Am hoping we can use
this to rack & bottle with instead of having to lift and transport
full glass carboys.

It is a OptiVac Gomco by Allied, model #
model S178,G178,L178. Does anyone have any experience using this
machine?

The mfg info on the web indicates that this is a battery powered unit (rechargeable) that will run for 45 minutes on a charge. Just be sure the battery will hold a charge.

Ohhhh!
I didnt realize it's battery powered. I dont want that. I want one I can plug in.

Thanks, Peter.

The battery powered one probably doesnt have the same power either.

Your should be able to do better on Ebay for that $75. I would be patient and keep looking.

Oh man.....
I missed it. Someone else bought it
smiley19.gif

Thanks, Wade, for checking on it for me.

I'll keep my eyes open and see what else might come up.

I'll just add my $0.02 here about vacuum pumps being used for degassing. If you can afford one they sure do make degassing a breeze. There have been a few post lately from people who didn't degass properly and corks pop out or even a year later they open a bottle which should be a wonderful treat only to find out its full of CO2 and has no flavor.

I did my first kit with a drill and a vaccuvin and it worked but it's pretty darn nice to just attach a stopper and flip a switch and let it go for 5-10 minutes and your done.

They are worth every penny IMHO.
smiley20.gif

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate your input. I havent had the pleasure of degassing yet, but from what I've read, it's an important step that has a huge impact on the final result of the wine. I'm looking forward to finding a good aspirator that will make the job easier and more efficient!

Latest posts

Back