Options for backsweetening Apfelwein?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBell

Reaction score
Have 3 gallons cinnamon Apfelwein that is stable, clear, and dry. It tastes okay, but I think it will benefit from some backsweetening. I searched google and found that many things are routinely used to sweeten this. Question is, what have you tried? What do you feel lends itself to this type of wine? Is it worth the extra expense to use Honey or brown sugar?

Things I have on hand to sweeten with:
1. White granulated sugar
2. Dark Brown Sugar
3. Wildflower Honey
4. Clover Honey
5. Sugar in the Raw Sugar Syrup
6. Apple Juice Concentrate

I know I could take shot glasses and try a pinch of each, but I'm lazy and tired, so I don't want to do that.

Thanks

My sense is that brown sugar is going to add flavors (perhaps including molasses) which you may not want, and the honey is likely to result in cloudiness and more sediment falling out over time. You might want to try adding white sugar to the concentrate and reducing the concentrate some more by gently evaporating off (boiling) some of the water and so further concentrating the sugars and then adding the reduced concentrate and sugar as a kind of flavor pack

Seems like good suggestions; how many cans of reduced concentrate would you recommend for a 3 gallon batch? Just one? Obviously would add a small amount of sugar to the F Pack as well.

I did take a 4 oz sample and sweetened with the equivalent of 2 packets of table sugar in syrup and it was mighty tasty

Either the cane sugar or apple concentrate, any of the other options will alter the flavor. Not saying that is a bad thing. If you use the cane sugar, take some wine, add the cane sugar and warm it up until sugar is dissolved.

Depending where you want your sweet level but one cup of sugar will raise sg approx. .018 per gallon.

Okay so plan will be 1 can concentrate simmered with 1 cup cane sugar for 3 gallons, at least to start, unless someone says otherwise in the next 12h

Okay so plan will be 1 can concentrate simmered with 1 cup cane sugar for 3 gallons, at least to start, unless someone says otherwise in the next 12h

Why simmer the concentrate even more? Heating that AJC sets you up for cloudy wine because you risk setting the pectin with the heat.
If anything, simply warm 1/2 cup of your must, dissolve the sugar in it, stir until it is clear and it is ready to add. Be aware that 1 cup sugar in 3 gallons will raise the volume's gravity by approx 0.006, and the AJC will also contribute.
If it were me, add the AJC first, then remove a sample and add taste. If not sweet enough sugar to raise SG of sample by 0.006. And taste at serving temp. Then if you like the sample you know you can add 1 cup.
And do not forget to stabilize with k-meta and sorbate before you start sweetening.

Last edited:
However you sweeten, I would let it sit in the carboy for quite a while before you bottle. Apple has a sneaky way of refermenting after a bit. It happened for me, and since then watching referment threads apple is the one it happens to an awful lot. Like Sara said, make sure you stabalize it. Good luck with it, apple is one of my favorites even tho I have had some grief with it. Arne.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will add 1 can of concentrate this morning and then taste tonight once it has had a chance to disperse evenly. I'm using the AJC essentially to top up, to allow me to let it sit in the carboy for another month-ish and make sure nothing else drops out.

I use concentrate to backsweeten and top up. Be aware that it DOES drop a fine layer of sediment. So if you keep racking and topping up with it you keep getting sediment in small amounts.

Latest posts

Back