RJ Spagnols Opinions needed on 2 Winery Series Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v1rotate

Reaction score
The OVZ w/ skins and the Syrah w/ skins. Has anyone made these? One of the best wines I have ever tasted was a blend of the 2 and I would like to give it a shot. My plan would be to buy 2 of each kit and age them for 3 months in my 2 40L barrels. Then we would have a blending taste test party to decide the proportions.

Thoughts?

Jim, I have made the OVZ but the Syrah is still on my to-do list. I like your idea with this blend and barrel aged. I think it will make a great wine.

Jim, I have the Winery Series OVZ going right now blended with Muscat. I think we had the discussion before and I prefer to blend the wines prior to fermentation. (Just a personal choice; doesn't make me a bad person.) This is my second batch of what I am calling "Ricetta di Stefano" in honor of my Father-in-law, who made a Zin-Muscat blend that was to die for.

I am interested in how you came to choose the Zin and theShiraz. What do you feel the Shiraz will contribute to the Zin and vice versa? We blend the Muscat with the Zin for sweetness and "fortification" let's say. In any case, you will have a winner.

Rocky said:
I am interested in how you came to choose the Zin and theShiraz. What do you feel the Shiraz will contribute to the Zin and vice versa? We blend the Muscat with the Zin for sweetness and "fortification" let's say. In any case, you will have a winner.

I have a buddy who owns a boutique winery near Lodi. He does a bit of blending for the wines he sells. The "Zinrah" was a blend he came up with using some of his Syrah and some Zinfandel he barreled for a friend of his. It was very full-bodied without being harsh at all. Just delicious, and I want to try to duplicate it. Mine won't be as good as his, I'm sure, but it won't suck.

I plan to experiment with the blending percentages when the 2 wines are about 6 months old. I'll probably end up blending them immediately before bottling, with some of each bottled by itself for comparison purposes. Check back in 2014 for the verdict!
smiley2.gif

Still looking for an opinion on the Winery Series Syrah...

RickC said:
Jim, I have made the OVZ but the Syrah is still on my to-do list.

So how did the Syrah compare to the Super Tuscan? Or, if you haven't tasted the ST, were you pleased with the OVZ, Rick? The ST is the only Winery Series kit I have made to date and people on the forum seem very high on these. I am hoping the OVZ and the Syrah both have good reputations.

I've made all the winery series. The OVZ is one of the best Zin kits out there for sure. Super peppery with plenty of Zin character. The California Syrah, used to be called simply Shiraz, and was very Shirazy. Many of my friends who tried it loved it. It was very similar to a Penfolds Bin 28, which is a very nice Shiraz. It went fantasic with grilled lamb.

Thanks for the info, Dean. That is what I was looking for. I love a peppery red. I have a MMM OVZ going now which should also be excellent in a couple of years.

I agree with Dean! I have both of these myself and they are always a big hit with everyone!

Latest posts

Back